Can window screen be used for divider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman88888

Aquarium Advice Regular
Not sure if I should attempt this DIY project...

Is the mesh from a window screen treated with anything chemical? Could it be used in a fish tank safely?

I'm making the dividers out of wood, window screens and fishing line
(If you guys tell me it's safe anyway)

I used some window screen to cover up holes in a piece of decor so my fish wouldn't go inside of it and I had no harmful effects on my fish. It was only 3 small pieces of screen but I think it is safe. Someone might be able to confirm that for you

If it is stainless steel it should be okay. You can buy large pieces of plastic mesh at most craft or department stores for around .33 cents a piece. I saw a youtube video on doing that with the spines of report covers. Those plastic notebooks with the spines that slip off and then slide back onto the paper. They glued those to the tank sides and slide the plastic canvas into them to hold it. Seemed like a good idea.

Do you know if the screen is made of metal or plastic ? Much window screen is made of nylon, which is perfectly safe. I'd wash it well, just to make sure it's clean.

Metal window screen is most often made of aluminum. Bare aluminum in fresh water precipitates minerals out of the water constantly. You'll get big white bumps all over the aluminum, and it will look terrible.

Not toxic, as such, but unsightly and over time it might pull too much calcium out of the water. It's not too hard to get it off, but takes some fairly hard scrubbing to remove it all.

Back
Top Bottom