Can you mix tropical fish and goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattfraser

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I have a 55g tropical tank. Some rock, bogwood and lots of real plants. Fish i have:

2x Blue Gouramis
2x Mollies
2x Bristlenose Catfish
3x Corydoras
4x Penguins
5x Neon
4x Guppies
1x Platy
1x Cavefish

I also have another tank with 2 goldfish in it. They have grown up now and could do with a larger tank which i dont really have room for. Can i add them to my tropical tank?
My tank is very peaceful and the temperature is about 5 degrees warmer than what the goldfish are currently used too.

Any ideas, thanks

its not adviseable.. gold fish are big polluters and are even worse when the water is a little warm.. not to mention.. there really isnt room in your 55 for them anyway..
are they fancy goldfish or common comets?

Not sure exactly what they are, not the common goldfish. I already realized about the mess they make but thought with the Corydoras in my tank they may cope.
Thanks for the advice!

NO !!

but you can keep other coldwater fish with goldfish -

white clouds
danios
hillstream loaches

Ok, thanks everyone. Guess i will have to look for a larger tank.

Cheers

One more question, slightly different subject.
Would any of my tropical fish enjoy live earth worms? Been reading that they are very good for tropical fish diets!

Cheers

isn't it also not good to mix them because other fish will eat the goldfish's slime coat?

I should try earthworms some time, do you have to wash them a certain way or just rinse and chop?

if your worried about getting the mud from inside of earthworms in your tank you can set them out on corn meal before you put them in your tank.. I would think after chopping them up would work best.. it should draw the mud out.. rinse then throw in the tank..

Back
Top Bottom