Can you re-use carbon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some activated carbon that I used for two days in a new filter, then pulled out to medicate a tank. Can I use the same carbon again to clear the meds from the tank, or do I need new carbon?

Reusing Carbon

Hello,

Filter carbon can be reused. The preferred method is to rinse under a strong stream of fresh water, spread it loosely over an area (I use a small tarp), and then let it dry in the air and sun.

That being said, the only time you really need to use it is WHEN removing discoloration from medication or driftwood. Improper use of this media can cause more problems than it corrects.

Your mileage may vary.

Guppyman

That long carbon thread left me feeling inconclusive, so I am just going to buy more carbon to clear up the medication. One local shop has AquaClear media for cheap. All of my filter pads are bright blue as well, from the medication staining them so I may replace those while I am there.

I am going to buy a Millenium 1000/2000 if I can find one locally for cheap. I want to put the AC200 on my 10g tank (with the flow turned way down) :p I think a Millenium would help put some more oxygen in my water since my bow front barely has any surface aggitation...

Luckily my tank has black seals or I would have an interesting looking tank on my hands :O

activated carbon cannot be "reused"

it can be rinsed, which may extend it's life, nocking off larger pieces of debris, allowing the carbon to continue working, but there is a point at which this will no longer work as well.

activated carbon cleans your water through complex chemical interactions between charged ions in the carbon attracting charged ions that are dissolved organic and inorganic compounds (such as fish waste and iron oxide)

these bonds, once formed, are not easily broken, except when the bonds are exchanged for more "active" compounds such as those in medicine.

the only other way to break the bonds is by instilling the carbon with termendous energy in the form of heat (well over 800F) in a high pressure steam atmosphere.

if you're using carbon in your aquarium, and you want to continue using it, you must by fresh carbon. Buy it in the bulk canisters, it is not too expensive that way. It is jiust another expense that must be accepted... cutting corners trying to reuse old carbon is dangerous - you could release large amounts of bad 'stuff' into your water trying to use carbon that has been used once already.

I gave up on cutting corners when I screwed up my 10g tank and put too many fish in it. I just did not want to be stupid about the carbon and waste it if it was perfectly fine :)

Back
Top Bottom