Caribsea moon sand....not cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justme68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry for duplicate thread, posted in wrong section! Has anyone else used caribsea moon sand? Ive got it in my 29gal and I'm having a hard time cycling.I've had some advice (I trust all the help I've received so far) that perhaps the bacteria that comes with this sand is keeping the good bacteria from growing. I'm just wondering what anyone else has done or if anyone has been able to cycle with this substrate. I appreciate all input! :)

The Tahitian moon black sand? I have it in two tanks and never noticed any problems cycling. I don't remember any bacteria coming with mine, though, just a water clarifier. Are you doing a fish in or fishless cycle, and if fishless, what are you adding for an ammonia source?

Yep the black sand... doing fish less and using the ace brand ammonia. I have a thread in the getting started section with all my numbers. I have really high nitrites that just won't drop.

That's pretty normal. The last tank I cycled took a week or two to start dropping nitrates, but once it started dropping them the cycle was pretty much done. It just went from sky high to moderate to none in a couple days.

That stuff doesn't help, and most of the time doesn't hurt. Bottled bacteria typically isn't live by the time you buy it, there is no food source and no oxygen in that bottle or packet, and who knows how hot or cold it may have gotten during shipping. At best it adds a tiny ammonia source (dead bacteria), at worst it has a few live bacteria of the wrong type that steals some of the food from the bacteria you are trying to build, but even then some of the toxins would still be converted. It just takes time, and in my experience the nitrite -> nitrate stage takes the longest.

You are going to have nitrates unless you have plants to use them up or do a water change. That sand you used is fine but the "bacteria" in it is kinda a gimmick because no bacteria that would help you cycle your tank would survive in that bag for long because there is no ammonia source in it to feed bacterial growth.

OK....I bought it cuz I liked it. I didn't think anything would be alive by the time it shipped to me,lol! So you don't think I should change out the sand? That I'll eventually cycle?

Thanks mog, I have between 20-40 nitrates. Its the trites that are always very high....

No need to replace it. It is nice sand, I love mine. Oooh, for a slightly different look, I've found that mixing in a small bag of black gravel looks really good, more like a river bottom.

Please, continue breathing! Cycling can be a long process. My last cycle seemed to take forever even though it really only took about a month.

Justme68 said:
Thanks mog, I have between 20-40 nitrates. Its the trites that are always very high....

Just get some frogs bite, duckweed or water lettuce and it will suck up those nitrates like no bodies business. It's not a replacement for a water change but helps keep the levels in check.

Back
Top Bottom