Changing Filters to Cycle Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limojica

Aquarium Advice Activist
I finally got nitrites in the 75 gal for about a week now. Ammonia 0 and Nitrites off the chart. The 90 gal is still high on Ammonia and 0 nitrites so I switched filters last night and added water from the 75 gal to the 90 gal hoping to seed the 90 gal. I did a 50% water change to the 90 gal and saw a good reduction in ammonia but still no nitrites. How long does it take to see the nitrites once switching filters? and will the nitrite tank (75 gal) lose nitrites since I removed the filter? I've been changing the water twice a day on the 90 gal but sometimes I don't have time in the morning to do a change. I think I lost a fish because of it...he was stressed and looked weird (had white stuff on him). Found him in the evening :(

Should I do water changed on the 75 gal since changing the filter? I checked the nitrites this morning and they were still off the chart.

I'm confused about why you switched filters? And also when nitrites are off the charts, its usually a good idea to do a large water change to get them in a readable level. I think I heard off the charts nitrites could stall a cycle

Long story but my 90 gal crashed in Novemeber. The filter FX5 clogged (tried for 4 months to cycle but wouldn't) so I changed it. Then all the filters I was using broke so I had to purchase new ones. Finally have good filters but they're all new (6-8 weeks old)
90 gal 406 fluval and Eheim P3
75 gal 406 fluval and hanging overhead Cascade

I finally got nitrites in the 75 gal so I switched the 406 (8 weeks) hoping to cycle the 90 gal.

90 gal has about 40 african ciclids (I've had the tank for 2 years)
75 gal has one 12 inch Tilapia Buttokerferi

I've been adding more and more media to the tanks to try to get it started. 90 gal has very high ammonia (6.0) all the time.

I think you need to step away from the tanks and let them cycle. You keep interfering and adding stuff and removing stuff and they're never going to be done.

Even if a filter crashes completely, you can still usually save the filter media and use it in whatever new filter you get. That maintains any cycle you had to that point.

But honestly, you sound like you're freaking out a bit.

Do your readings.

Depending on readings, do water changes.

End of story.

It looks to me like you're relying too much on your biological filter to reduce toxins when your filters have not yet been completely cycled. You would be better relying on large water changes and waiting for the filters to completely cycle.

Fortunately, in large tanks, toxins take a long time to build up, which should relieve some of the burden.

Thanks. Large water changes is what got me on the go when I started this. I did them everyday even if I had to do two changes at once. I would do a large one, test the water then do it again if ammonia was till present. I've only been doing 20-50% but maybe that's not enough. OK, that's what I'm going to do.

I've been going through this since November trying to cycle and not lose fish in the process. Seems like I wasted months with the FX5 then now another 2 months. Doesn't matter when I take the readings...morning or night, the 90 gal has high ammonia, and finally the 75 gal has nitrites but high...8.0. I have some great fish and don't want to lose any.

Yes and it has a little ammonia sometimes...I let it run first then put it in. Also add ammonia detox. Think it's my not doing enough of a change. I am cleaning the gravel bed but then not doing a full change for fear of shocking the fish.

As long as you have been doing regular water changes and get the temperature fairly close, you wont harm the fish. I routinely change 50-70% of my water without issue.

Also add ammonia detox.

Is your "ammonia detox" your dechlorinator?

What exactly are you adding (a list, if necessary) to your tank?

Also, if you do readings within 24 hours of using a dechlorinator, you may end up with false readings.

Yes, add Prime and Jungle Clear Holdex. Did a 50% water change last night, checked the ammonia on the 90 gal and it was 0...then this morning checked ammonia again and it was 0. But no nitrities or nitrates...so I am confused now. It seems I should have nitrites if no ammonia since this tank is still cycling. Will check again tonight (hopefully will have nitrites) and change water as necessary according to readings. The 75 gal still has the same readings. 0 ammonia, 4.0 nitrites

Update

Well after all my mistakes and losing two more fish :( I stuck with the decision of changing filters and it looks like the 75 gal is almost cycled. Two straight days of 0 Ammonia and this morning 0 Nitrites. Whoohoo!

After losing one of my favorite buddies, I upgraded the 10 gal (Saturday) to a 30 gal and put all the sick fish (fungus) in the 30 gal with one of the filters from the 75 gal. Seemed great for a few days until I started adding more fish then I got Ammonia readings...duh.

I've been making large water changes to the 90 gal and this morning I have .25 Nitrites reading. Finally!

So now the plan is to keep the 90 gal (30 fish) and 30 gal(10 fish) both have .25 Nitrites and Ammonia readings with the current occupants and just do water changes as needed. I hope I am finally on the way to cycling healthy tanks. This has been some experience. Losing fish is the worst :facepalm:.

Nature will somehow right things and if you don't do it (remove heavy loads) it will do it for you with deaths...I hope by lessening the load in the 90 gal helped it. We'll see.

Losing fish

I am confused. I am losing fish. Just found one again this morning down in a corner. His body looked white/beat up...I know it's from the poor water quality in the 90 gal. Should I switch fish? I've tried switching filters once I got nitrites but it seemed to do more harm than good. Found a few dead fish since I did it. The 90 gal has 30 fish now ( I put 10 in a 30 gal purchased on the weekend) and the water is so far so good but the 90 gal is stuck or something. The 75 gal with my tilapia (12 inch) has 0 ammonia and 4-5 nitrites. The tilipia is fine but should I switch the fish from the two tanks and let the tilapia cycle the 90 gal? Should I wait until the 75 gal is fully cycled 0 nitrites until switching? What should I do? I am losing good fish.:eek:

Well I think I've finally figured this out...but only after losing a few fish which is unfortunate. One tank 75 gal with one 12 inch fish finally cycled completely. I waited to see if the 90 gal would cycle, took fish out, cleaned both filters, changed 80% of the water...NOTHING. There HAS to be something in the tank making it dirty so once I completely cleaned the tank, gravel, etc. I decided to remove the hydro sponges (3) and throw them away. I replaced the sponges and put the cycled filter from the 75 gal on the 90 gal tank. I waited a few hours to see what would happen. After 10 hours I had 0 ammonia and .25 nitrites on both tanks. I feel like something just lifted the weight of this battle off my shoulders. I've been going through this since Nov 2011 when the tank crashed to get it stable. I kept changing filters, trying new things (putting in the hydro sponges), and cleaning the tank with no result. I feel horrible now. The amount of toxic ammonia in the tank from the hydro sponges was the culprit and reason I couldn't get the tank the cycle after replacing all the filters. I cleaned them weekly but it seems they were clogged so no matter how many times I cleaned them or left them to soak, they never got completely clean. I am monitoring both tanks for the nitrites and hopefully it will be soon they'll cycle. If I find after cleaning and changing the water the tank it still dirty (ammonia readings) I'm going to replace the sponges since they seem to hold dirty and can get clogged. I'll still have the other media in the filters, and tank for bacteria. Finally! WhooHoo!

Just rinse the sponges out in used tank water, which you should be doing with every water change anyway. You don't have to replace them all that often.

Thanks, seems like I was doing that. Maybe there was too much load for them and I never rinsed them fully so the load accumulated. I put them in a bucket of water and the water turned black. Sign they needed to be removed immediately...poor fish.

Back
Top Bottom