changing gravel to sand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am changing a tank over from track to sand. I just want to make sure this will not hurt my bristlenose pleco that is living in the tank. He is my favorite fish in the tank and I would hate for the sand to hurt him. I'll be using white pool filter sand. Thanks!

Your pleco will be fine, just make sure you clean the sand thoroughly, turn all your equipment off until after the sand settles, and take your fish out. Put them into a large bucket or storage container with the heater and filter, if you don't have another tank.

Your pleco will be fine, just make sure you clean the sand thoroughly, turn all your equipment off until after the sand settles, and take your fish out. Put them into a large bucket or storage container with the heater and filter, if you don't have another tank.

Thanks. I have used sand in may tanks AND moved fish from tank to tank before. SO I know the drill with both. I just didnt know how a pleco would react to the sand.

Yep, just make sure it is super clean, and turn off anything that would be affected by the sand particles. In sand tanks I recommend to have a pre-filter sponge on the intake of your filter for 24/7 protection. I do hope that the tank is cycled, and make sure to keep the filter wet! There is some BB in the gravel, so make sure to keep the remaining BB alive.

Hope I helped!

I changed my tanks over to PFS and I have 2 ABN's. I didn't notice anything that would indicate that it was harmful. Hardest part was catching them!

Oh, yeah. Bottom feeders and the like adore sand, it's actually easier on their flat bellies than gravel.

Back
Top Bottom