Changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leek86

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im thinking of swapping out my gravel for a something like eco complete, I was wondering if there would be any issues doing this, The tank is cycled.
I tried jbl manado, when I first got the tank, before cycling the filter and it seemed to clog my filter, so i'm a little dubious regarding fine substrates.

Do you think i'd have the same issues with eco complete?

Here's a big long thread on the topic- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/plant-substrate-147792.html

I just recently changed from PFS to floramax/flourite mix. If you're doing this on an established tank, I'd suggest looking at floramax over eco just because it's basically the same thing, minus the beneficial bacteria. costs about the same per pound, but you pay for water with the eco.

The tanks not long been established, under a month, which is why I was worried about changing it incase there was bacteria in there I needed

I'm not convinced that the bacteria is still alive in those 'live substrates' is actualy alive after sitting on the shelf, but if that's a concern of yours, I don't see what it would hurt (other than your wallet).

No no, Its just normal aquarium gravel in my tank at the moment, what made me think about bacteria in the gravel was, when I was seeding the tank to cycle it I was recommended to use gravel from a established tank to help seed.
So i was worried that if I took my gravel out it may be taking out bacteria since its not long cycled, when I switch to floramax or flourite or what ever I choose.

I hope I made my self clearer this time, I know before the way I wrote it made it confusing.

Well, the eco complete and floramax is essentially the same, except the eco complete has 'live bacteria' in it. That's what I meant by my post.

Ah I got you, I got a bit confused there, yeah no need for bacteria for me :D:D so I guess it'll be floramax when Im ready to make the jump

Leave some of your old gravel in the tank. Tie it up in panty hose and let it sit on top of your new stuff. I think this would help seed the new substrate.

Back
Top Bottom