plant substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to remove my UGF I am also considering getting some new substrate ( I have gravel right now) I want something that will last a long time and be great for plants. :)

Economical - Pool Filter Sand

Specialty plant substrates: Eco Complete, Aquasoil

There are many others too that work great. A lot of members go with Pool Filter Sand (PFS) for planted tanks. It is about $5 for 50 lbs. I prefer specialty plant substrates, but they are expensive, and not required for success.

By the way fort I went out a got a canister yesterday ( it is a fluval 305)

fishfanatic said:
It is a 35 gallon tall (36 by 12 inches)

you could pay more for the special substrate or buy the cheap pfs usualy for substrate you want 1-2lb per gallon so the special stuff will cost alot more it also depends what plants you want

right now I have one Amazon sward a few Java ferns and some vals. It is a medium to low light tank. I would like the options open for more plants in the future

PFS or specialty substrates are fine for pretty much any plants.

Fort which kind do you use in you profile picture? I want plants similar to those. And I like the look of the substrate

Not sure what plants wouldn't work in PFS? I mean, maybe not eriocaulon or something, short of that, just about any plant will grow in pfs.

Fort which kind do you use in you profile picture? I want plants similar to those. And I like the look of the substrate

That would be ADA Aquasoil powder.

If you like the look, but don't necessarily want to pay for it, BigJim uses a cheap black slag blasting sand as substrate, and it looks great. It isn't full of nutrients like the aquasoil is, but there are ways around that. I haven't seen him report anything negative about it. You could ask him exactly what it is called.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using PFS, planted or otherwise. Sure, root tabs become a necessity with some plants like swords, but even with those specialty substrates, that can be necessary. I have no issues with PFS in any of the tanks that I have set up, and will continue to use it as long as I keep aquariums.

fort384 said:
Not sure what plants wouldn't work in PFS? I mean, maybe not eriocaulon or something, short of that, just about any plant will grow in pfs.

ive read some people had issues rootin in pfs or mabye it was somethin else play sand mabye

How long would aquasoil be beneficial for plants? In terms of years

I have some that has been in use 3+ years, and dwarf hairgrass still grows about 2-3" a week in it.

fort384 said:
Play sand can have issues with compaction... PFS is usually pretty good for developing roots.

ok sorry for bad info im a jack of all trades ikno a bit of everything this was just outside my reach n i got stuff confused

Back
Top Bottom