Cherry Shrimp with this setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a heavily planted 70gal tank.

This is supposed to go in there/already in there:

1 pair Colisa lalia,
1 pair German Blue Rams,
Endlers,
school of Neon/Cardinal Tetras,
group of Otos,
*maybe 2 pitbull plecos (small algae eater)*

Can I keep tiny cherry shrimp with those fishes or will they get muched up? I've always had Amanos before and love them, the thing is just that I think it would be interesting to breed Cherry Shrimps. For the breeding I already have plans how to acomplish that, so the fishes won't eat the larvae.

Colisa lalia? common name=?

It sounds fine to me..

Im kinda currioius what CO2 level your running with your DIY CO2.. Not that your in any danger without great level (your lighting isnt too intence. :D )

I got myself a pressurised setup. The DIY method was just too much work, I detected air leaks, the mixtures didn't work, etc. Finally I couldn't stand it anymore and invested some more money in pressurised CO2.

I run about 25ppm CO2 (referring to the CO2 Chart). At the beginning my plants were fine, growing a little, but with the pressurised CO2 it's easier, more conveniant, and I got rid of the hair algae. It's just so much better. Finally I don't have to play doctor with my tank anymore, but can enjoy it (you know, greenmaji, when the lights broke and my 70gal had to live with 60W for 2 weeks :evil: ).

Colisa lalia=Dwarf gourami

So none of the fishes should be big enough to eat the shrimp or go after them? They never went after the Amanos (probably figured they are to big to eat anyway).

My amanos don't take gruff either, but cherries are much more passive. You're gambling. I've never seen baby cherry shrimp in my main tank, which has small fish.

What's your plan to prevent fish from eating baby shrimp? Just curious.

I've kept ghost shrimp with dwarf cichlids and dwarf gouramis without any problems.

Ghost Shrimp are still about the size of a male Amano though, so that's not really different from the experiences I made myself. Has anybody made experiences with Cherrys and fishes like mine?

I was planning on putting the Cherrys with the big "eggbags" into a breeders net. Those opening in the net are smaller than any opening in a little floating tank, so they won't get through there. If they crawl out of they net, I might have to cut out an acrylic top for it :wink: . I'll put some javamoss in there, for hiding places and food and might place a piece of spirulina tab in there every now and then.

Cherry shrimp are very small. Not much bigger than your finger nail. Regular amanos are twice the size of cherries. I think you should be good, but you might lose some- just cause they look like good snacks.

PM Tankgirl she keeps cherry shrimp- she'd be able to give much better advice.

Back
Top Bottom