Chinese Algae Eater OR Oto Catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollieDahhrlinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I have a 4 gallon tank and i want an algae eater.
I personally think that the oto is better for my tank as they will most likely be smaller for my tank compared to either a chinese algae eater or a sucking loach.

But also i have been mislead by LPS selling a chinese algae eater rather than a Oto Catfish.
Your opinion and also, how can i sex them?
Should i get a 2 male or 2 female?

Thanks
HollieDahhrlinn x

Oto's by far. I dispise those CAE's, they are mean little snots and dont do much cleaning.

If this is the 4 g that you have the 2 paradise fish in and platy's, you really don't need to add anything else to it. Oto's need a mature tank, cae's don't really eat that much algae after they mature and will harass fish.

Oto's by far. I dispise those CAE's, they are mean little snots and dont do much cleaning.

Couldn't agree more, CAE's can be really nasty and can also get a lot bigger than what people may expect, oto's are a much better choice, just make sure they have plenty algae at all times otherwise they may not do so well :D

I wouldnt add any to a 4g tank. Mine ate all the algae and when it wasnt growing fast enough, they refused the wafers and belly up'd. In your case with the small tank and aggressive fish already in there due to space not being there, itll tear the OTO's up.

I wouldnt add any to a 4g tank. Mine ate all the algae and when it wasnt growing fast enough, they refused the wafers and belly up'd. In your case with the small tank and aggressive fish already in there due to space not being there, itll tear the OTO's up.

Didn't realise this was the same tank as the one with the paradise fish and platy's. In that case, don't get anything else and think about getting a larger tank =D

I agree with not adding anything else to the 4 gal tank. For future reference CAE's get very large and should be housed in only much larger tanks with more aggressive species. I had one live in a125 gal with African cichlids and in that tank he was very peaceful.

Hey,
I am returning my paradise fish this evening back to the pet store as they are quite aggressive already!
I will most likely replace them with 2 more platy's or 2 danios.
Would this be a more acceptable habitat for the oto's?

Thanks for ALL your adive :)

Danios are not a good fit for a 4 g tank, they are way to active. Your tank is really to small for more than a couple fish.

Ottos do best in groups I have 2 in a 29 gallon and there is barely enough algae in there for them I have a couple of rocks in other tanks that grow algae very well that I take out so I can feed them.

Back
Top Bottom