Class Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackdrake6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A class at school decided they wanted a pet fish, and immediately everyone looked at me as I am the so-called "fish guy." I have a 40 gallon aquarium to work with and was wondering what would be a good candidate for a solitary fish in this size? Or any other ideas?

A convict cichlid pair would be nice, as they breed constantly, perfect for the classroom environment. You could also do a couple goldfish instead of the convicts.

What filter is on the tank?

We are only in the planning process but I would go with fluval aquaclear 50.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unfortunately I can't offer any suggestions for a solitary fish. Perhaps someone else could but I'm gonna follow along here.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Why not a bichir?? Maybe?? I'm just spit balling here..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

11th grade AP Chemistry. I thought of a bichir possibly as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aren't oscars happy without other fish, but with people to interact with? Is 40 big enough for one?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Good to know, big difference in Kindergarten Betta and 11th grade Chemistry.

Something interesting, automatically I think dwarf shrimp, but that is just me lol, and 40 G would be unnecessarily large.

That age group and class need something stimulating. Maybe a brackish tank. Water chemistry. :brows:

But a Bichir is a cool creature.

Depending on how long the class intends on keeping the tank going, fish like a smaller Red Devil, or Gourami gourami, or one of the new world cichlids might be good as they tend to be aggressive not do well with tank mates. They will outgrow that tank at some point but if this is not a long term deal with the school, you should be able to get away with it. I can see the Gourami as a point of interest due to the labrynth organ. The Devil for it's ability to crap up a tank quickly so water chemistry will be mandatory to keep track of. Same with the other cichlids. Another option could be a lung fish. An other animal with interesting abilities. I'm sure there is some chemistry lesson in there somewhere. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

Good to know, big difference in Kindergarten Betta and 11th grade Chemistry.

Something interesting, automatically I think dwarf shrimp, but that is just me lol, and 40 G would be unnecessarily large.

That age group and class need something stimulating. Maybe a brackish tank. Water chemistry. :brows:

But a Bichir is a cool creature.

+1 on brackish! Maybe a few green spot or figure 8 puffers. Not solitary but very interesting and fun!

Back
Top Bottom