clean sand??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeydude15

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to put sand in my tank. I have heard that it clouds water easily. how do i clean it??

Sand makes a great substrate! Make sure you rinse the sand really well, like a couple times before you add it to your tank. When you add it to your tank do it with wet sand as this will keep it from clouding your tank. As for the cleaning I'd recommend some snails and or loaches who will dig in the sand and keep it areated. I use a gravel vac and 16L pails that I vac my snad into. I pour the water from the bucket off the sand in the bottom then re-rinse the sand and re-introduce it back into my tanks. I also re-use my fish water to water my plants in the house and they love it!!!

To protect your filter, put a sponge on the filter intake. I use a sponge made for a sponge filter (with air pump) and cut an X in it and on it went!

I use pool filter sand in my aquariums. I never have had a problem. It's always clear, never has been milky.
It comes in a 50 lb bag. I take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it half full of water then I pit half a bag of the filter sand in my bucket. I lean the bucket until the pool sand is about 2 inches from the rim of the bucket and with my water hose I swirl the water around in my bucket and keep my bucket leaned to the right. I don't have to put my hand in the bucket. The swirling of the hose stirs the sand up. It's cleaned in about 5 minutes, but I continue for a total of 25 minutes.
I drain as much water off as I can. I have a fine stainless steel strainer and I take the sand out of the bucket with it. When my sand is in my aquarium I add warm water. I always use the tank water thgat has been cleaned. I don't even have to wait for my power filter to clear the tank. It's clear. I add my fish back to the aquarium.
Half a bag will cover my 3 aquariums. My sand is about 3/4 inch deep. . You'd be surprised with how nice pool filter sand looks. The sixe of the pool sand is about the size of small grains of rice.
Make sure your temp of your aquarium is the proper temp or you'll stress your fish and possibly kill them.

Back
Top Bottom