Clearer Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccronje

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I've had this 200L fish only hardscape aquarium for about 3 months now...fish are really healthy, water parameters are good (no Nitrates detectable), very little signs of algae and generally it looks pretty good.

However, the water is not as crystal clear as I would like it...it seems ever so slightly hazy if I can call it that. Difficult to show this on photos.

I'm doing at least a 30% water change weekly and I'm using an OASE Biomaster 250 as filtration (with prefilter cleaned weekly). Filter configuration is as follows:

Prefilter - 30 ppi foam
Basket1 - 20 ppi Filter foam
Basket2 - Oase Hel-X Media
Basket3 - Seachem Matrix
Basket4 - 30 ppi Filter Foam
- Seachem Purigen

Is there anything obvious here that I'm doing wrong or that I can change to get my water clearer? For example I've been wondering if I should replace the foam in Basket1 with some kind of filter floss.

I would really appreciate any input.

Thank you

Chris

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 21
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 23
Sometimes cloudy water is caused by particles that are even too small for your filter to filter out,

Something like " API Accu-Clear" works by going on a "clumping" spree.... making particles bigger so they can be filtered out.

That doesnt look too bad.

It looks like you dont have a background on the tank, or if you do its a light coloured background. A black background would really make everything in the tank pop out visually and improve the clarity of the water.

I agree, a black background is usually the way to go as it will indeed make things pop.

One way to do this as I currently do is with some cardboard covered with winkled black plastic from a plastic garbage bag :)

Back
Top Bottom