Clown loach with Mystery snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,
As some of you may know my tank had a terrible disaster with the bio filter this week. So since most of my fish died :(. I will be restocking once my tank returns to normal. Now my mystery snails have been living through the chaos very well. So I'm sure they will make it through to the end. Now, some pond snails also are living very well. So when my tank gets back to normal. I was wondering could I have a clown loach with my mystery snails? Will the loach eat the mystery snails? Or will I have to relocate my mystery snails?

A - Clown Loaches get huge so your tank will need to be over 100G eventually
B - Depending on the size of the loach your snails should be fine, the small 1" loaches that are commonly sold will harass your snail but be unlikely to actually harm them

Alright thanks,
I decided that I'm going with yoyo loaches instead.

Alright thanks,
I decided that I'm going with yoyo loaches instead.

Very good decision. They'll go well in smaller tanks, are still a very fun fish and won't harass your snails.

A - Clown Loaches get huge so your tank will need to be over 100G eventually

Maybe after 5+ years you'll need that 100g. Clowns are notoriously slow growers, averaging less than a inch of growth a year. 5 year old clown = 5" clown, roughly.

When I had a planted tank my clown took care of plenty of snails. He was probably 3-4" at the time and would eat any snail I put in, mystery, pond, mts, etc.

Mine is close to 6 years old and is just over 5 inches, FWIW.

Maybe after 5+ years you'll need that 100g. Clowns are notoriously slow growers, averaging less than a inch of growth a year. 5 year old clown = 5" clown, roughly.

When I had a planted tank my clown took care of plenty of snails. He was probably 3-4" at the time and would eat any snail I put in, mystery, pond, mts, etc.

Mine is close to 6 years old and is just over 5 inches, FWIW.

Not trying to get into a whole mines bigger than yours situation, but any Clowns I've owned have grown to around 5-6 inches within 2 years, they tend to slow down after this period.

Back
Top Bottom