Mystery Snail Concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckhan321

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two mystery snails and a goldfish on the same tank. My goldfish and one of my mystery snails are doing fine. I found one of my mystery snails on her back at the bottom of the tank with the trap door mostlyclosed. I put her right side up and left her away from the other animals so she could relax and hopefully come out of her shell. I left for a few hours and she is now floating at the top of the tank. Her trap door is closed I believe all the way now. Should I be concerned that she is no longer alive or is she okay? Is there anything I can do to help her? She was doing fine on Tuesday and Wednesday eating normally and hanging out with the other snail.

How long has the tank been set up? How long have you had the fish and snails? Do you know your water parameters? What was the snail like between the last time you say the snail was fine (wednesday) and when you found the snail on its back?

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post the results in numbers here.

Do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate. See how it looks tomorrow.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

How long has the tank been set up? How long have you had the fish and snails? Do you know your water parameters? What was the snail like between the last time you say the snail was fine (wednesday) and when you found the snail on its back?

The tank has been set up for about 6.5 years. I have had the fish for 7 years and the snails for about a month. The water parameters are normal and nothing is high. I don’t know what she was like on Thursday or Friday as I did not see her in the tank. This is not unusual as she likes to be under the coconut husk bridge that they have.

When you set a snail aright and it keeps overturning, or floating - get ready, she may be checking out. The others are doing fine, and if after following the above advice nothing has changed (she's floating, shut, and not showing signs of life while the other two are good) it may be her time. Is she big? It could be age. Is she small? She just may not be as hardy as the other mystery. Time will tell - usually 2-3 days of that floating or ceasing to float. Let us know :( good luck

Back
Top Bottom