Clown loaches acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So today after I tested my water once again I found everything was perfect
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 7.4-7.5
Nitrate 20-25

I went to sleep Cause I had a rough day with my anxiety but I needed a media bag so I sent my roommate to my lfs i go to and she picked up 3 candy cane tetras, I really didn't want to add more fish atm but it is what it is, the candy canes are at the bottom of the tank hiding in plants and my clown loaches are acting out very strangely chasing all the fish all over the tank, they aren't staying on the bottom like they usually do they are swimming mid water, aren't tetras supposed to be mid water swimmers if so could this just be them getting used to the new tank? and will my loaches kill them?20170211_012047.jpg20170211_012038.jpg20170211_012021.jpg

Well I thought I got a pic of the tetras but I guess not lol, also my roommate doesn't know about schooling, I have 6 lemons but only 3 candy canes, will this be okay?

Okay here's a video of them, another thing is I read they need a highly dense planted tank I don't have that I have plants but I don't know if it's enough its not really thick, also max ph is 7.2 my ph my s 7.4-7.5, school of 6+ I have 3, ugh I wish people wouldn't buy fish without me I know she meant well but I might have to go get 3 more which will put my tank at 100% stocked which makes no sense lol this is a video of my loaches they are getting huge I need to take them back to the fish store as my tank is only a 55 gallon, but they are acting weird like aggressive but not just maybe playing idk
https://youtu.be/Lr_YTMjvDsM

I don't know that your loaches act like they're being aggressive. To me, they act more curious and playful. I no longer have clown loaches, but from what I remember, they sometimes come to mid-water, and even top-water; they aren't always at the bottom of the tank. I have several Yoyo loaches now, and it isn't unusual for them to come to the top for food.
I think your tetras will be ok as far as loach aggression goes, but IMO, add a few more so they feel a bit more comfortable. I think the amount of plants you have will be sufficient, especially after you increase the school size.
As far as your PH goes, 2 pts higher than recommended probably won't damage your fish, as long as you transitioned them to it slowly. However, someone else with more tetra experience and a wiser head may offer a different opinion on this.

That's the bad part I didn't add them in my roommate did, I always acclimate my fish but they didn't, they are doing good they are schooling with the lemons (odd), I called my lfs today because I was concerned about the ph and plants, they told me these aren't wild caught they are captive bred in tanks that have the same ph or roughly the same ph as me as my lfs tanks are 7.3, but yeah I didn't get to acclimate them my roommate just acclimated them temp wise by floating the bag and put them in the tank

Typically, tank-bred and raised fish seem to have a wider tolerance of water conditions than wild-caught fish. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If they seem to be doing fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much; just keep an eye on them. You might have a chat with your roommate about adding fish without your permission though.
How are your loaches doing?

Loaches are huge, and I am dreading taking them back to my lfs, it's gonna be a sad day for me, but it's for their own good and health, the candy canes are acting weird like very shy and startle very easily, one hides by himself over by my sagitaria plant doesn't seem sick though, mayge get 3 more so he don't feel lonely, he comes out at night and eats great

Back
Top Bottom