Clown pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cauterox04

Aquarium Advice Activist
My clown pleco never comes out of hiding ever. He hides under this ship and doesn't ever move that I can see. What do I do. Or what is wrong with him please help

The are really shy fish. I have had mine for at least 8 months and he does come out once in awhile, but not very often. He will scurry back to his cave if any movement is detected outside the tank.

I feed mine Hikari algae wafers and zucchini. If I sit quietly and watch, he'll come out and eat in front of me. As soon as I move even a little, he is gone!

I like him, but am going to move him out to another tank or rehome him for three reasons: too much poop (I like a cleaner look), an unconfirmed suspicion that he attacks small cories that come near his cave (I lost too many of them that were perfectly healthy until they went in that tank), and his shyness.

He hides inside if this ship I have and lodges him self up into it where you can't even see him at all and my red tail shark is always in that cave and be is no bigger than an inch and nothing has happened yet and they have been in the tank together for like 2 weeks

Also is he a good tank cleaner or should I get something else?

They are not good tank cleaners as they don't do much sucking on the glass, etc. I hear bristlenose plecos are way better tank cleaners. I got mine because I like how he looks--no other reason. Two weeks isn't much time for your little guy to adapt. Give him some time. I am not sure how a red-tailed shark would be with him. Is there a big size difference at this point?

As long as you are putting algae wafers out for him, he should be fine. If you feed them right before tank lights are out, you might catch a glimpse of him now and then. Clowns are active at night.

I mean the clown pleco might be 2 inches or 3 but I might get rid of him I would rather have something that's going to clean the tank

Back
Top Bottom