Clown plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Is there a reasons clown plecos aren't more popular? They don't get very big and they are fairly common/cheap. I just got one a week ago and his coloring is really attractive, the only better looking pleco I've had was a royal, and those get to be monsters.

I love clown plecos. I suppose that fact that they tend to be a bit reclusive and the main diet is wood, that may be a turn off to some. I have two of them though and they are awesome.

Fluff said:
I love clown plecos. I suppose that fact that they tend to be a bit reclusive and the main diet is wood, that may be a turn off to some. I have two of them though and they are awesome.

Compared to Royals, they are show-offs, I would not see my royal for days, wheras with my clown I always know hes stuck to one of my pieces of driftwood.

I agree with Fluff, a lot of people probably don't like them because they like to hide in the driftwood all day, but mine will come out sometimes during feeding time or when I turn the lights off.

Mine are always out during feeding but, the rest of the day they lounge on/under the driftwood.

My clown is always found on my wood, but always viewable. When the lights go off, he wandered all over the tank. He's on the glass every night and also eats algae wafers. He doesn't appear to be shy. In fact, I was rearranging the tank the other day. He was attached to the top of the driftwood and I picked it (the wood) up to move it. He stayed put and didn't seem too stressed about it.

I'm not sure why they're not more popular. Color is beautiful, temper is nice (although he'll chase off the goldies when they try to steal his algae wafer), size is perfect, price is right.... I love mine.

Back
Top Bottom