Common pleco replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorkevin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to replace my common pleco I'm about an hour. Any ideas what I should replace it with? I don't have much room in the tank. I was thinking Cory's but I think they need to be in 4s

Most likely p.myersi, that's the info I've managed to gather regarding my own recently acquired shoal, although I knew they were pseudogastromyzon the day after I bought them (I phoned the store for the Latin name)

They were sold as Pseudogastromyzon sp. (hill stream loach) but further investigation reveals that P. myersi are the commonly imported ones and it is highly unlikely to be another type. However yours may be from a different family group. The place you got it from should be able to provide you with at least the family name in Latin. Then it's a much easier job to acquire an almost 100% identity of species type.

Loaches Online is another good source of info.

If it's a Hillstream Loach they require cool water with a good current for high oxygen. They require a good diet as well. You can grow algae on smooth rocks for them, plus Rapashy gel foods, and blood worms on occasion as treats.

They may try to guard their food but are typically peaceful shy fish.

Ok thank you for your help. Where I buy the fish is an hour drive and more on the way back! I have been going backwards and forwards for a month. I don't really want to go back unless it is nesesary!

Feeding.

I can't get mine to eat anything other than aufwuchs, they don't seem to eat good quality algae wafers or catfish pellets, in fact all sinking type food I have tried gets wasted.

From my brief experience with these fish if it doesn't grow in the tank they are not going to eat it. I have not tried any frozen type preparations.

Basically I'm dosing a tank full of rocks with my plant food system so that enough food grows for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom