Community oddball?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I was at the fish store today and see a tiny ornate bichir it was only about 3 inches but I looked up how big they get and it would eventually eat everything :( so I was wondering if any of you had an idea of what I could get as a cool "oddball" fish, the smallest fish I have in my tank is giant danios so there is nothing really small in there. Thanks

A 350l ATM and I am upgrading to a 1000l+ early next year, yea they seem cool, I will look into them. Thanks

African butterflies are cool. Peacock or zig zag eels are peaceful and stay small.

AFB are very cool, as said before. Just remember that they will eat anything that can fit in their mouth that comes to the top of the tank. Including small fish. And they have a very large mouth compared to their size.

A very large mouth ;)

img_2141465_0_63a8a3e5a315f9740f1f1f339f5fbb4b.jpg

That thing looks like it just ate a chicken!

It was a piece of krill. Krill was the only food it would eat that wasn't live. I hate feeding live to my fish.

I forgot how awesome this guy was. I'm gonna have to grab another. That pic was from around 8 years ago.

Thanks for the replies, I have looked at ABF before but was told they are a bit boring? Spend most of the time like a floating ornament, is this true?

Thanks for the replies, I have looked at ABF before but was told they are a bit boring? Spend most of the time like a floating ornament, is this true?

It depends on what you call boring.. They are not a centerpiece fish but they are very interesting to watch.

Keep in mind a lot of oddballs are nocturnal, I've had very few oddballs that are active throughout the day. Maybe looking into a Polypterus Senegalus..

Ok thanks I just went to the fish store and came home with a reed fish and an ornatus cat :D thanks for the replies.

Nice.. although with the cat I believe your gonna lose just as many fish as the ornate would have done ;)

Back
Top Bottom