Cons of a Pleco? (help save an innocent pleco!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Um, my mom wouldn't want me to share that online, probably. I will try to stay local, or use that website with my mom. I don't know about pricing, she would probably say fifteen is too much for a fish.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

I know!! My mom just wouldn't like that. But, I would prefer local before online. Online as a last measure.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Online purchase is pretty darned safe. The stuff you buy online gets to you the same way they get to the local store. You actually REMOVE a stressful step when you buy (from somewhere good) online.

I want to buy local for the visual factor. Seeing and choosing my own specific fish.

Lol, yeah. I get attached to any pet, even a little fish like a zebra danio that I can not tell apart from the other five. I love all of my pets, and want to choose them with my own judgment.

I can understand that. :)

However, my wife is pregnant right now, I don't think I'll have any issues loving whatever pops out without choosing it by sight first. ;)

Lol, I know. I would love any fish I got, but I would prefer to choose it.

It's a little bit different from a baby though!!

lol, I know, I had to say it.

I was going to also say it's not really that different with a baby, they just need a bigger tank, but I figured someone might not take it as a joke. :D

Lol, a crib could count loosely as a tank, couldn't it? But I kind of know what you mean. Two years ago our mare gave birth, but I loved Prinze even before he was born.

I realize that he's a horse, and it's different, but he's my little baby!! He's awesome, but needs to become a gelding. Sorry Prinze, you can't be a stallion!!

There is no advice we can give you that can possibly make a 25 gallon tank acceptable for a common pleco.

You can't get a bristlenose? Look for a rubberlip or pitbull. The rubberlip especially is a very common sight at PetChains.

I agree. I've seen Bristlenose plecos at my local Petco before and my local Petsmart carries Rubberlips. (My son bought a rubberlip for his tank at Petsmart and paid about $4 for it.)

I'm not sure where a petco is near me. Petsmart had a terrible selection of pleco type fish. They had common plecos, and that's about it.

That stinks! Mine carries commons, hifins, and rubberlips. Hifins aren't much better then a common pleco as far as size goes though.

Are those also called sailfins, or am I confusing them with another species I have heard of? The hifins are what I'm referring to.

There are thought to be hundreds (perhaps thousands) of different types of Plecos in the wild. Although I think it is illegal to export wild fish now, there are a lot of different Plecos all sold under the wrong description. You sometimes don't know what you're going to get (it depends on the supplier stock).

I think my Zebra Pleco is absolutely awesome. You should get one of those. :) I have seen them at Petco, too. You can find where there is a petco on their store locator on their site. It's pretty simple. Normally if there is a petsmart, there won't be a petco far away...

The Earl May near me would probably special order a fish. They normally have a good selection. I don't know, they may have them already and I didn't see them. Last time I was there I was focused on panda cories, which they usually have, according to the fish manager. She said something about being able to special order I think.

The Earl May near me would probably special order a fish. They normally have a good selection. I don't know, they may have them already and I didn't see them. Last time I was there I was focused on panda cories, which they usually have, according to the fish manager. She said something about being able to special order I think.

Yey! Go on, you can do it. :) It'd be awesome if you did that rather than getting a Common.

Back
Top Bottom