Considering Adding One Betta... Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saa5886

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has now been up and running for a few months now, and everything is looking great!

I have....
4 Mollies
1 Guppy
3 Ghost Shrimp
1 Snail
1 CAE
1 Albino Cory Catfish

Its my 25 gallon tank..

I guess I wanted to know... will a Betta (just one) get along with these tank mates? I know the male bettas have long fins, and sometimes Mollies can be fin-nippers... Any thoughts?

If the guppy is a male and colorful, and the betta you are thinking of adding is male, then the betta may mistake him for another male betta and kill the guppy. Not guaranteed, but it's a possibility to keep your eyes open for. If the betta you are going to add is a female, there shouldn't be any issue.

Also, a betta (whether male or female) may or may not leave your ghost shrimp alone. I've had some bettas be fine with ghost shrimp, and others where it was basically KOS (kill-on-sight). Each betta's personality is different in this regard.

Those would be my only two possible concerns.

I think the two main concerns about adding a betta have already been addressed by the above members. My betta did not attack my fancy guppies, which was good. The guppies were bright orange and bright yellow respectively, with good sized fan tails. A betta is a nice addition to a community tank, IMO.

I strongly suggest you don't add anything but at least 2 more albino cories. They are scooling fish and live in thousands in the wild. I would get 6, at least 3 though. Thats like putting a neon tetra by itself theyre schooling fish. As for the betta mine gets along with my black mystery snail and albino cory catfish she just acts like theyre not there. If you do get a betta, which i dont suggest doing until you get more cories, i would go with a young one because if its an old one thats been alone for a long time its not going to be very socialable. Thanks i have a veiltale female got her when she was a teeny tiny.

Back
Top Bottom