Cories or Kuhlis - Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidsquiggle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 36 gallon bow front, sand substrate, moderately planted, with 2 marineland penguin 200 biowheel filters. Current stock is 12 pearl danios, one guppy (office fish rescue), and one long finned golden bristlenose. It's time to get some bottom level babies, but I just can't decide.

I was really interested in a school of Corydoras habrosus, but I'm not having any luck finding them. My lfs has pandas and julii cories (but julii seem to need warmer water than my bristlenose or danios are comfortable with?) and kuhli loaches. I've never had cories or loaches, so I thought I'd ask for opinions here.

Are either likely to damage/eat plants? Is one hardier than the other? One more active/entertaining? Is there another option I'm overlooking (otos perhaps)? Any experience or anecdotes are appreciated!

Ive never had Kuhli loaches, but I do have jullii cories and they are a blast. I keep my water about 80 degrees a d they seem fine, spending
Most of the day swimming up and down the glass or hanging out under a plant.

I have owned 5 different species of cory, and I have owned kuhlis. My opinion is to get both. They will get along, and both like groups. Kuhlis have a pretty low bioload, so you can pile in a few and still have room for a nice sized group of cories. :)

Cory's are in general considers more active but this is because kuhliis are shy when they have small numbers. In general I hear that you wil hardly see them if you have any less than 5. Once they are in a comfortable setting however they are known to become very active! Even more so than corys.

Thank you for the responses!

Jconner3, I do really like the julii cories, but my bn and danios prefer temps in the mid 70s, I really don't think they'd deal well with high temps, unfortunately.

absolutangel04, I was thinking about that option, too. According to aqadvisor, that would only just barely put me over %100 stocking. I'll definitely think about both as an option.

M1k3y_gumi, yeah, that's what I was a little worried about with getting both. They wouldn't be very large groups and then I might never see the kuhlis.

Maybe it will just come down to which is cheaper at my lfs. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom