Cories without barbels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 4 julii cories in with a gang of guppies. The guppies are... boisterous at feeding time, and will always have a go at the sinking catfish pellets. 3 of the 4 cories now have no barbels, and I suspect that they have been accidentally eaten while draped over delicious food. They still forage and don't seem to be losing condition. Will they be ok? Can a cory function without its barbels? Will they grow back?

IME they will grow back. The barbels can actually get worn if the substrate is too coarse. Can you provide the 3 with a hospital tank to check their progress?

i could put them in another tank, yes, but i suspect that as soon as they go back in, the guppies will just accidentally snack on them again :/

The loose of the barbels is not from your guppys. As Brian said, they either got worn away from rough gravel or they can be eaten away from a bacteria infection. When you do water changes do you vacuum the gravel real good? If they are worn away to far far they will not grow back. I got 3 Albino Corys 4 years ago that had no barbels and they have done very well but they have not grown back. The Corys just look kind of wierd.

I agree that it's probably the gravel. Cories need either fine gravel or sand.

i have fine smooth gravel (about 1mm diameter), and i do a thorough vac every week, so i doubt it's that. they are not sick, and neither are any guppies in the tank, so i doubt it's bacterial. when a cory goes after a sinking pellet, they sort of lay their barbels over the food to suck at it, which is when they get nipped off by a hungry guppy, i believe. the guppies are voracious...

Back
Top Bottom