Cory Catfish Issues...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karentcs2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 Peppered Cory Cats in a BioCube 14 gal. I recently added an Oranda and Lionhead (before you say anything about the size of the tank, the fish are still small and I am getting a much larger tank in a year once I no longer have dorm restrictions on aquarium size). The Corys were extremely happy and healthy until the goldfish came. The 2 goldfish eat all their food (And the cory's) before the Corys can get to it. The smallest cory (Sherman) has been on top of things and attempting to get the food as soon as I put it in the tank, but the other two (Herman and Thurman) have just been laying around not making much of an effort. I wouldn't be worrying about it too much, because I know they will find some food that the others missed if they get too hungry... except that today as my oranda was eating, he almost gobbled up one of the corys along with the food (exaggeration, but the cory was quite harrassed). So I guess my question is, will the corys and goldfish eventually get along and all get food? Or should I give my corys to a friend who has a large cory and guppy tank?

the temp difference is pretty high for corys and goldys,teh 2 dont make very good tnakmates

i would give them to the friend. As far as i know, goldfish are coldwater and cory cats are more tropical water fish(am i right?)....and i know you talked about upping your tank size... but even now 14 gals is too small for those fish im afraid.

Peppered corys can be in unheated aquariums... Many people keep them in unheated. Before I added the goldfish, they were extremely active and the temperature had no effect on them. So I am not really sure that temperature has anything to do with my problem.

Patola: Thanks for the suggestion, I think I have decided to give the corys to the friend. As for the tank size, right now the goldfish are small so I think for a few months they will be ok till I upgrade :)

from experience, im quite sure they do need a heated aquarium....and i have always kept them in small schools of at least 6...which they very much like to be in to be happy. Also, how well planted is your tank, and what is the substrate?

from experience, im quite sure they do need a heated aquarium....and i have always kept them in small schools of at least 6...which they very much like to be in to be happy. Also, how well planted is your tank, and what is the substrate?

I have small gravel and artificial silk plants. The tank isn't extremely planted, probably about 1/5 of the bottom surface area, enough for hiding spots and such.

Back
Top Bottom