Corys loosing barbells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Illetrop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I lost my second Cory today. :( I don't understand. Was fine yesterday this morning his barbs were gone just like the first one. I'm not having luck with catfish. Had two ottos few weeks ago died aswell. All my other fish are happy and thriving. I do have a beta. I see him get territorial but never saw him bit. I got a planted tank Eco complete substrate. Anybody have this issue? Help!

Hi

Cories are very sensitive to a tank bottom that is not pristine. So to troubleshoot, I recommend checking your parameters and looking it over visually.

I have had my best luck with cories using low current. I am not sure if this was coincidence or not.

I know of people who have Eco complete with Corys and they are fine. It could be a quality issue; be sure you're siphoning the substrate deeply each week. Old fish food and waste can decay in the substrate and cause infection in the corys barbels. Is the tank cycled? What are your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, etc)? How often do you clean the substrate and what's your water change schedule?

Yup, it's not the EC. Bump up your PWC schedule, keep you water super clean and they should heal.

I have Eco-Complete substrate and my cory cats are fine.

Cory cats do in fact lose their barbels when water quality isn't pristine. I keep 25 in a 220g tank with Eco-complete. I also don't gravel vac due to the extremely heavy plantings in my tank. I do 50% WC's weekly and run alot of filtration in my tank. When water quality in the tank improves their barbels will grow back.

Back
Top Bottom