Could my filter be killing my Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeybsmooth

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have this filter ...

Aquarium Filters: Whisper In-Tank Filters

and I have had two Ryukin Goldfish die on me. When I found both of them they were right by the filter, and some of there body was gone, ( on the side ). When I found the first one I just assumed that he was eaten by this tank mates. However after seeing this one with the same type of a injury and I thinking other was now. I mean if they were going to eat on them , they would not just eat on one side and leave everything else clean.. would they.

And I had issues with my water quality but those have since been fixed .

What were the issues with your water quality? It's more likely they died from something else, then the damage was inflicted from being sucked to the filter, unable to swim.

What are your exact readings for amm/nitrite/nitrate? Is your tank cycled? I do not believe your filter is the issue here-goldfish are quite capable swimmers! I have major filtration & powerheads set to full blast on my main tank and water current/filtration has never been issue with my goldies. In respect to the cannibalism, goldfish are omnivores (they eat both veggies & meats) and i have witnessed them eating a dead tankmate before at the lfs.

I'm also doubting the filter had anything to do with it. I keep bettas in a 40B with an AC110 filter and they don't have any problems with the filter.

1. I'll reiterate the request for your water parameters.

2. How big is the tank?

3. What other fish/critters are in the tank?

My ammo is .1 nitrite is 40, nitrate is .5 all higher than the best, but way better from what it was. I don't understand how he can be ok when it was really messed up , but die when I am starting to get in under control.

edited

it is a 35, it as this ?comet I think it is I am not sure what he is, and louch and some rosies.

Nitrite is 40? And it was worse? Pretty good chance you just found your cause of death! You want it less than .25, and it should be 0 on a properly cycled and maintained tank, as should ammonia.
How long have you had the tank? How did you cycle it?

I'm sorry about your fish! I know how hard it can be to lose them. I just had two of my clown loaches that Ive been raising the past year die on because of an outbreak of ich. Anyways...

I highly doubt that your filter killed the fish... Usually they die and then the damage is done once the dead get caught on the intake.

Your nitirite are dangerously high.. Definately do a water change soon. It could be that there was just too many chemical changes in the water for an already stressed fish to handle.

And you have too much in a 35 gallon tank. Two Ryukins alone should be in a 30 gallon tank.

It's my belief, also, that the nitrite was the issue. To a fish, that's swimming in a very toxic environment. Some can handle it, most can't.

LyndaB said:
It's my belief, also, that the nitrite was the issue. To a fish, that's swimming in a very toxic environment. Some can handle it, most can't.

Very true.

I had an old Oto that survived a huge nitrite spike while other fish died.

I thought Oto where sensitive? Lol :)

I have had the tank for a while, now. Everything went to heck when I changed filters. On the label that said 40 was still safe , but I know people here know better than most of those labels :(. I got started fish keeping fish after keeping turtles, for them knock on word you can see that something is wrong and do things to fix it , but it just seems like fish are swiming on day and dead the next.

If you changed out filters completely, you lost the vast majority of your beneficial bacteria. That put your tank into a tailspin.

You want to shoot for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and <20 nitrate.

If you changed out filters completely, you lost the vast majority of your beneficial bacteria. That put your tank into a tailspin.

You want to shoot for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and <20 nitrate.

+1 Changing filters without keeping the old media in the tank is almost as bad as starting with an uncycled tank. Keep an eye on your water parameters and be prepared to do lots of PWCs. I'd start with at least an 80% PWC and go from there.

I'm curious as to how you're measuring your nitrite? What test kit are you using? The API Master kit, which is what most of us use, only show nitrites up to 5 (which itself is VERY toxic). If your'e using strips I'd highly suggest getting a liquid test kit.

You'll need to do massive daily water changes to get those nitrites down; that's the cause of your fish deaths. What size tank and what exactly do you have in there for fish? Goldfish are pretty messy and need larger tanks.

There's a link in my signature called: new tank with fish. It'll give you the info you need to get your tank through the mini-cycle. But basically testing daily and water changes any time ammonia and/or nitrite get over .25.

Sorry to interject but is it possible you got your nitrite and nitrate readings backwards? .5 nitrites and 40 nitrates just seems more likely to me.

c_leed said:
Sorry to interject but is it possible you got your nitrite and nitrate readings backwards? .5 nitrites and 40 nitrates just seems more likely to me.

That sounds more plausible! In which case the nitrites are still high and could have been the cause.

Back
Top Bottom