Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt.Gorilla

Aquarium Advice Freak
My LFS just got in some Freshwater "Red Crabs", I didn't get a good look at all of them but they looked like female fiddlers.
They were only $10 for 2 so im thinking of making a crab tank in my 10 or maybe 20 gallon tank.

What kind of care do these guys need, all I know is that they need some space above water to sit and breathe.
care = filtration/feeding and such.

They need space above water, hard water with a ph of about 8.0 and they do best with brackish water. Crabs are best left to the species only tank.

They may be red claw crabs, although I think their claws are longer than those of a female fiddler (and definitely smaller than those of a male).

I think a crab tank sounds great! I'd love to do one myself someday. They are fascinating to watch. If I ever move my rams into a bigger tank, I think my cube would make a cool crab tank. I could make an island in the middle and there would be water all the way around it...

Hmm... ;)

IMHO, 20Gal long tanks are some of the best for crab tanks.

Cubes are great for the island style crab tank, but for a shore-type tank I think the 20gal Longs are great. Plenty long enough to have the substrate piled high enough on about a 3rd of the tank, leaving the other 2/3 for the substrate to dip below water line.

Back
Top Bottom