CraZy High Ammonia & Trites in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
And I don't feel bad.

Why? Because I don't have any fish in there! :dance:

And I'm rocking the cycle with DELI SHRIMP as my source of ammonia. Holy cow is this working and working fast.

I set up a new 10 gallon tank to start using as a quarrentine tank. I had hoped for an *instant* cycle using a filter from my other 10 gallon ... It looked like I had about 10ppm trates and .25 ammonia after about a week (never saw a trite spike) but I just didn't trust because having trates and a bit of ammonia just didn't seem right. .

So, anywho - I read a thread somewhere else about using human consumption deli shrimp (that I would eat) in a mesh bag to source my ammonia from the decay of the shrimp and I am stunned at how fast that worked to start the cycle!

The ammonia and trites are just about OFF THE CHARTS. So... hopefully we'll keep this moving along now and get this tank cycled so that when I set up my new 72 gallon bow, I have my quarrentine tank ready to go when it is ready to go.

(I actually need the 10 gal cycled so I can put my 11 baby cherry barbs in there too as a temp home - they're getting bigger now and almost ready to come out of the breeders tank).

I have a whole plan and I love it. No panic worrying about my fish in with ammonia and trites and doing crazy water changes every day - - and worrying - this shrimp thing is good stuff! I love a fishless cycle! YAHOO!

Janelle

Back
Top Bottom