Cycled tank 0 nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alex07

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How many of you have a cycled tank and have nitrate level at 0?

jetajockey said:
I'm not sure if I understand the question completely. I have planted tanks that could read 0 nitrates but they get kno3 dosing regularly to avoid it from happening.

Well my 30 gallon has been cycled for a while. But ever since i made it a blackwater tank my parameters are 0. I did some research and came across that plants and algae may be the cause of that.

Are you using any sort of chemical filtration?

Plants can reduce nitrates if they are densely planted/lighted well enough.

One other possible concern is that with a blackwater tank, the pH can drop down into the 6's which significantly slows down the nitrification process, if it gets low enough it can stop it all together, so you wouldn't see any nitrates then either, but you would see some ammonia buildup.

jetajockey said:
Are you using any sort of chemical filtration?

Plants can reduce nitrates if they are densely planted/lighted well enough.

One other possible concern is that with a blackwater tank, the pH can drop down into the 6's which significantly slows down the nitrification process, if it gets low enough it can stop it all together, so you wouldn't see any nitrates then either, but you would see some ammonia buildup.

I'm not using any chemicals at all.

Well I have several jungle vals, java moss and 2 huge amazons which I just noticed that the leaves have hair algae on them. Maybe that could be it?

I made the blackwater with peat moss which brought my PH to around 6.4.

I would think i would see some type of ammonia but no, i tested the water tonight and my ammonia is at 0 as well.

well the plants can utilize ammonia also, so that's not out of the question either. I've never really done extensive testing on acidic water so I can't say for sure, but I do put some alder cones in some of my tanks from time to time to induce breeding.

jetajockey said:
well the plants can utilize ammonia also, so that's not out of the question either. I've never really done extensive testing on acidic water so I can't say for sure, but I do put some alder cones in some of my tanks from time to time to induce breeding.

I would think I would get some type of reading of ammonia since I am using potting soil and it's not heavily planted but not even that.

I'm not that concerned because all of the fish look healthy, haven't had any deaths and I've read that it possible to have 0 parameters.

I just want to know how many people here are experiencing or have experienced this.

Back
Top Bottom