Cycling ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADCISCO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Could a 10 gallon tank with 5 zebra danio cycle in just 7 days? I have some plants from the established tank in there and also a pagota. Could it have cycled? I have never gotten any kind of reading of any sort.

It is not likely, but possible. Keep checking, and if your test kit never reads anything, sometimes the test kit is bad :)

I cycled a 75 in about 2 weeks (without Spiro) but you should have some readings. If you don't see nitrates its not cycling. Did you get the white cloudy look and then it went away?

My test kits are good and in date. I havent had any kind of cloudiness in the water. Crystal clear! I have added a little water along to keep the water at the top of the tank and other than feeding the fish 2 times a day and adding dechlorinator when adding water that is about it. I was just curious. This also happened to me one other time when I set up the qtank...never got any readings.Same danios too! :lol: Maybe they are just Super Cyclers!!!!LOL Now watch me go in there tomorrow morning and the ammonia be threw the roof!lol I guess I just want it to hurry up! I want some new fish!!!!!!! :lol:

It can happen gradually but I see a spike in your future. Unless you have nitrates please test for this and post results.

No nitrates, no nitrites and no ammonia and ph perfect! My 29 gallon is the same way. And yes the tests are good. Have 2 different kinds. After my 29 gallon was established I have cleaned the tank every 2-3 wks faithfully. I try to maintain good water quality....Ask Allivymar I had a horrible time in the beginning getting good quality water but since I have (since the end of August) it has stayed that way.....I am just impatient ask Alli :wink: ......just want to get some new fish soon! I have a ammonia tester on the inside of my both my tanks and with the qtank I really watch it but there is ( I guess ) a possiblity that it could have cycled and I didnt know.....I havent tested the water in the qtank everyday...just keep an eye on the tester and if it looks like it is starting to change I check it. I know that the tester works because of my last little incedent in the tank 2 or so wks ago. It probably hasnt cycled but I just keep thinking its been almost 8 days and no ammonia or anything. 8O

Same happened to me, ADCISCO. :D I put a few danios in my 55 and "cycled it" for a couple of weeks. Nothing happened. No ammonia, no nothing. You may want to add more food to the tank and not clean it up too fast. Allow for some decay. The ammonia spike is a usual thing, and you might be in for danger if you introduce a full bioload to the tank.

What I did:

When I realized that the 15 danios weren't kicking the ammonia up, I gradually introduced other fish--1 species, a few fish at a time. I never really had an ammonia spike to speak of. I monitored the conditions quite closely, and took water samples from the bottom of the tank. Nothing. I had (have) a Penguin 330 on the tank, and accredit that with keeping nitrogen levels mercifully low. I also used a lot of "cycle," though that's out of vogue nowadays on this site!! It's a mystery, really, but I think I may just have avoided the usual ammonia spike by stocking the tank really slowly!

With a somewhat smaller tank, I'd reccomend overfeeding and constand testing. Good luck!

I wont clean the tank until it is cycled....I learned that the hard way a few months back when my brother in law bought my daughter a 29 gallon tank and I was the one who ended up doing all the work when he went back to California and we live is WV and hubby was at work. I knew nothing about aquariums them but I know alot more now. I read and buy books all the time but I still have stupid questions that come to mind that you cant find in a book. I feed those little boogers good! Still no ammonia spike....not sure what the deal is. One thing I did do was buy one of those sponge filters that suction cups to the inside of the tank being that mine didnt have a spounge filter just the carbon and I put it right behind the pagota house that I took out of the 29 gallon that hadnt been cleaned in months......maybe it sucked all the bacteria off if it????? Good reasoning anyway :mrgreen: I figure it just hasnt cycled but man usually I have no problems with getting ammonia!!!! Oh well.....I guess I will sit and wait patiently :oops: Though that is very hard for me to do!

Back
Top Bottom