Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After 12 hours, ammo went down to .50 from 4.0 and the nitrites and nitrates have not moved. Let it go another 12 hours and check it, or just dose back to 4ppm? I think its safe to assume that if I leave it, nothing will change lol.

After 12 hours, ammo went down to .50 from 4.0 and the nitrites and nitrates have not moved. Let it go another 12 hours and check it, or just dose back to 4ppm? I think its safe to assume that if I leave it, nothing will change lol.

Wait another 12 hours. You only want to dose ammonia once in a 24 hour period.

Ammo: .25
Nitrites: 3-4
Nitrates: 5

After adding pieces of sponge from my other tank, I thought things would be different tonight. Not so much. Can I take all the water out and put it into this 10g tank? The lfs has one dwarf puffer left, but if it sells, they're not due for any more for 4-6 weeks :( I want it so badly, but also don't want to harm the little thing either.

Tank water doesn't hold much bacteria at all so it wouldn't help the cycle much. You can drain the water, refill with dechlorinated water and add the Puffer and finish with a fish-in cycle. Just be diligent with daily water tests and water changes as needed for as long as they are needed. It's up to you and how much commitment you're willing to put into the tank with a fish in there.

librarygirl said:
Tank water doesn't hold much bacteria at all so it wouldn't help the cycle much. You can drain the water, refill with dechlorinated water and add the Puffer and finish with a fish-in cycle. Just be diligent with daily water tests and water changes as needed for as long as they are needed. It's up to you and how much commitment you're willing to put into the tank with a fish in there.

Yeah, 99% is on surfaces/filter media. I just wasn't sure if it would have any positive impact. I'll replace the water tonight until the levels are safe. Hopefully by the 2nd water change! I'll read up on fish-in cycling and continue with that. Puffers are hardy, so I'm not too worried.

Check out Librarygirls link on her signature 'new tank with fish'. You will be fine as long you stay viligant on your daily water tests & water changes any time am/nitrite rise to .25 (or higher). Keep us posted & dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions! :)

jlk said:
Check out Librarygirls link on her signature 'new tank with fish'. You will be fine as long you stay viligant on your daily water tests & water changes any time am/nitrite rise to .25 (or higher). Keep us posted & dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions! :)

Thank you for everything! I never hesitate to ask questions, even the dumb ones lol. You guys are such a help.

No such luck today. Dwarf Puffers are gone until at least Thursday, but even then he said it might be the following Thursday. Another lfs about 30 minutes away sells Pea Puffers and Figure 8's. I may get a Pea Puffer tomorrow night instead. I bought an Otto and put it in my 29g that has Rasbora's and Cherry Barbs. Had to buy something today :)

Meanwhile, the 10g is down to no ammo and nitrites, with nitrates being around 5-10ppm. If I don't get a Pea Puffer tomorrow night and wait til Thursday to check the other store for a DP, what should I do with the tank? Add flakes for the bacteria? Transfer 2-3 Harlequin Rasboras to jump start the fish-in cycle? After 6 months of being in the hobby, I've finally ran in to some tricky situations.

I would just keep dosing it with amm until you know your getting some fish (then do your wc). No sense in stressing the rasboros by moving them to another tank. Keep doing the tank fishless until you have the fish you want to stock. Sorry, you didnt get your puffer this weekend!

I had similar issues a few mo ago with my 10g I did 20% water changes every day for almost 2 weeks and uped the salt I put in

This is the home of the DP, eventually lol. Yes, the sides are dirty, but not making the mistake of cleaning during a cycle again! =)

ForumRunner_20120115_193106.jpg

Wonder8331 said:
I had similar issues a few mo ago with my 10g I did 20% water changes every day for almost 2 weeks and uped the salt I put in

I don't use any salt in my fw tanks. None of my current fish or the puffer I'm getting are brackish. I was told ghost shrimp need more salinity, so I added some aquarium salt. That was right after I got into the hobby. Soon found out they don't need it. Other than that, my salt doesn't get touched.

I only started using salt because I had brown blood disease after that I got a new filter with built in uv and added aquarium salt . I have platys and glo fish. They are alot happier and healthier now past few months they all have been having babies including the glos. Most of them wind up as food lol.

Oh, gotcha. Lol, you gotta watch them fry! They're a great snack.

Thank you! I now have a DP. Drip acclimated for a little over an hour and gave him a new home :) I'll post pics in the morning before work or tomorrow night. Crossing my fingers all goes well with the little guy.

Back
Top Bottom