Cycling a 5 gallon Betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I have had mixed responses to this question and I was hoping to get some insight here.

I have a Betta fish living in a 1 gallon tank with a small filter and heater. I do almost daily water changes because the ammonia stays high (1-2ppm). I use the API Master Kit.

Today I decided to buy a larger, 5 gallon tank. It's one of those quick-start tanks with a filter. I want to move my Betta to the bigger tank and add his heater and the existing gravel and artificial plants (plus an extra bag of gravel and two new artificial plants that I just bought).

Should I cycle this tank? If so, should I do a fish-in cycle or a fishless cycle, considering my Betta is living in an uncycled tank already.

Also, I have a 10 gallon tank with glofish that is halfway through the nitrogen cycle (0 ammonia, 1-2ppm nitrite, 0 nitrate). Would it be beneficial to take some travel from that tank and add it to the 5 gallon to boost the process?

Thanks for any advice!

Its better to move him over. But move the gravel and the filter... Keep the filter running. Personally I would add bacteria (Seachem Stability, Tetra Safe Start Plus or Dr Tim's One and Only) for a fish in cycling. But the fish needs space. Alternatively dismantle the filter for the material to help start the new filter, it is more complicated but better in the long run.

Do not wash everything in tap water. Treat the water before moving things over. You want whatever bacteria you have to move with you.

1 gallon is just rough in my book.

Honestly, i'd say just put him in there. obviously use the water conditioner and if you have it, some bacteria starter. top fin and aqueon aren't the most top of the line brands but they've always worked just fine for me. let the filter go for a little while and then move the heater over, let the water warm up and then put your betta in there. dump in all of the water the betta was in. put all of the gravel and etc in there too, it'll help with the bacteria cycle. but honestly sooner is better, nothing can be happy or healthy in a 1 gallon tank.

Thanks for the advice! I've transferred the betta and he seems to be a lot happier :D

I just learned about the nitrogen cycle about 2 months ago when I bought a 10 gallon aquarium. That tank is about 75% through the cycling process. I'm hoping that cycling the betta tank isn't as challenging as the first time around, as I've learned a lot from my mistakes.

Thanks for the advice! I've transferred the betta and he seems to be a lot happier :D

I just learned about the nitrogen cycle about 2 months ago when I bought a 10 gallon aquarium. That tank is about 75% through the cycling process. I'm hoping that cycling the betta tank isn't as challenging as the first time around, as I've learned a lot from my mistakes.

i've never really had an issue with cycling my tanks, other than my one community tank. it was a 10 gallon tropical tank at first but then i ended up with a tiny goldfish i didn't have anything to do with. so i put him in there. and he just kept growing and growing and making my tank all awful and dirty. nitrates and nitrites through the roof. the water was super acidic too. screwed up everything. so i put them all in a 40 gallon tank and have been doing much more frequent water changes. since then, it's been much better! that was my first community tank, so it's understandable that i kinda screwed up there. but as for my bettas, i've had them in 5 gallon tanks since long before i understood the nitrogen cycle and they've been pretty good. only had one out of the five die, and all of their tanks test pretty well. two of them are in 10 gallon tanks now just out of convenience. fishkeeping is like any other hobby, it takes time and practice to get things right. don't beat yourself up if you screw up!

Back
Top Bottom