Cycling Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Repeat the process, if necessary, until you reach your goal. Once there just remember how much in total it took to get there. Check levels 24 hours later. If the ammonia dropped to zero... Check for nitrites and nitrates. If both ammonia and nitrites are zero then you are cycled. If nitrites are greater than zero. Redose ammonia. Repeat process until ammonia and nitrites are zero.

Repeat the process, if necessary, until you reach your goal. Once there just remember how much in total it took to get there. Check levels 24 hours later. If the ammonia dropped to zero... Check for nitrites and nitrates. If both ammonia and nitrites are zero then you are cycled. If nitrites are greater than zero. Redose ammonia. Repeat process until ammonia and nitrites are zero.

Thanks! So just to confirm, once I know how much ammonia was required to bring the tank to 4ppm for the ammonia, just repeat adding that every day and monitor for nitrites along the way to track the process?

You only need to add ammonia when it drops to zero. So just monitor your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. At some point your nitrites will rise... Once nitrites drop to zero your tank will be cycled.

Just to note, the tank needs to consume 2ppm ammonia into 0 ppm ammonia within 24 hours with 0 trace of any nitrite, finishing with some NO3 reading.

Just to note, the tank needs to consume 2ppm ammonia into 0 ppm ammonia within 24 hours with 0 trace of any nitrite, finishing with some NO3 reading.

Thanks for that!

It’s finally up to 4ppm. So now I can monitor ammonia and nitrites. Add more ammonia if I drops and once I see it drop from 2ppm to 0ppm in a 24 hour span with no nitrites then I’m good to go?

Most excellent! It won't be much longer now.

Seems to be! I’m worried about stalling the process. I can’t, no matter what I do, get ammonia back up. I’ve dosed super high and still it remains at zero for the second day in a row.

I’ve still got nitrites and nitrates. Nitrites sitting somewhere between 0.25 ppl and 2ppm. Honestly, the colour doesn’t match the sheet at all so I’m guessing. Nitrates are reading 80ppm.

Not quite sure how to proceed. Any tips for how to move forward are appreciated!

Change about half the water and redose ammonia . Too high nitrates can stall the cycle .

Change about half the water and redose ammonia . Too high nitrates can stall the cycle .

Changed about half of the water. Dosed ammonia again, back to 4ppm.

Nitrites and nitrates reading high still with nitrates reading 80ppm.

I’m assuming this will come down and just needs some time?

The only thing to bring down nitrates are water changes . Ammonia will go to 0 as it is converted to nitrites,and they will go to 0 as they are converted to nitrates,but nothing easily converts nitrates so water changes or high live plant mass are needed to get rid of them .

The only thing to bring down nitrates are water changes . Ammonia will go to 0 as it is converted to nitrites,and they will go to 0 as they are converted to nitrates,but nothing easily converts nitrates so water changes or high live plant mass are needed to get rid of them .

Okay, that makes sense.

I’ll continue doing water changes until I see a change. Thanks for your help!

And keep testing for ammonia,nitrites,and nitrates daily till done cycling . Once tank gets rid of ~4ppm ammonia in 24 hrs without any nitrites then you are cycled . Do a large water change to drop nitrates and add fish . If you don't want to add fish right away just keep adding ammonia to keep cycle going .

And keep testing for ammonia,nitrites,and nitrates daily till done cycling . Once tank gets rid of ~4ppm ammonia in 24 hrs without any nitrites then you are cycled . Do a large water change to drop nitrates and add fish . If you don't want to add fish right away just keep adding ammonia to keep cycle going .

Thank you!

Here’s an update:

So, last night I tested after my water change and still had a high reading of 80ppm for nitrates. Ammonia was 4ppm, nitrites was 2ppm.

This morning I figured I’d test again (before pwc) and got the following:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 2ppm
Nitrates: 40ppm

I did a 25% pwc as nitrates were still high. Because ammonia was at 0, I dosed ammonia again. After the change I had this:

Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrites: 2ppm
Nitrates: 80ppm

Tested nitrates again a few hours later (maybe 3 hours), and it read more like 20-40ppm.

I’ll retest later and evaluate. It does seem that the ammonia is being converted quite quickly. So I’m hopeful this is still moving in the right direction!

Testing testing and more testing ahead.

Looks like things are right on track . You should see ammonia to nitrites for a bit then one day no nitrites just nitrates . Nitrates around 20-40 is ok . just keep it about that and you will be fine . I think you can see that now you have the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrites working and the ones converting nitrites to nitrates are going . Now it is a mater of getting them all up to max so that 4ppm of ammonia is nothing but nitrates in 24 hours . Keep us posted....lol

Looks like things are right on track . You should see ammonia to nitrites for a bit then one day no nitrites just nitrates . Nitrates around 20-40 is ok . just keep it about that and you will be fine . I think you can see that now you have the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrites working and the ones converting nitrites to nitrates are going . Now it is a mater of getting them all up to max so that 4ppm of ammonia is nothing but nitrates in 24 hours . Keep us posted....lol

Well, that sure is reassuring! Thanks for all of your guidance. I’ve really appreciated it!

I’ll be away from home next week and my partner will be taking over. Hoping when I return home on the 16th, we’ll be ready (or nearly there) for fish!

Well I hope you teach your partner how to keep the cycle going...you are so close , but if things aren't done right the cycle could collapse and you will have to start over .

Back
Top Bottom