Decided to start a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ickletas

Aquarium Advice Freak
After reading a few threads here (in particular Mr Limpets) I have decided to fix up the 10g that came with my community tank for a Betta. The filter is in my community at the moment (hopefully maturing nicely) and the light, lid and heater are winging their way to me as we speak. What I am considering is 5/6 flame tetras or maybe Galaxy Rasbora with the Betta but my problem is that I'm not that keen on shrimps :blink: I just don't like the thought of them touching me if I pop my hand in the tank *shiver*. I have a fairly sizeable colony of mts in my main tank so if I grab a few of them would they do a good enough job? I don't really like the thought of bigger snails they also creep me out (I know I'm being a big girls blouse about it). Also while I have you, would the fish prefer a darker substrate?

You don't need shrimp or snails if you don't want them. Just keep up with your PWCs. Just a betta and some small tetras is fine. As for substrate, it's really up to you. Most fish do have better coloration on darker substrates though.

--Adeeb

I agree no need for other fish or inverts, a few smaller tetras and the betta will be just fine. I always prefer dark substrate and back ground, makes fish and plants look better in my view.

Betta is a huge bet when it comes to compatibility. IMO/E introduce Ur Betta last! That way it gives Ur other fish to establish in the tank.

Bettas are fine with most fish IMO. You just have to be careful putting them with other anabantoids or fish with large flowing fins. Flame tetras or something similar should be just fine. I'd be more worried about tetras nipping the betta's fins haha.

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
Bettas are fine with most fish IMO. You just have to be careful putting them with other anabantoids or fish with large flowing fins. Flame tetras or something similar should be just fine. I'd be more worried about tetras nipping the betta's fins haha.

--Adeeb

Actually it depends on ur Betta personality . My betta ate one of my cardinal's eye!

Thanks for the advice guys. After reading several threads here I had decided to add the betta last because of the territory issue. If the betta can't get on with his neighbours then there is room in my community for them so there is a back up plan :) Will post some pics once I have it set up and thanks once again

Ickletas said:
Thanks for the advice guys. After reading several threads here I had decided to add the betta last because of the territory issue. If the betta can't get on with his neighbours then there is room in my community for them so there is a back up plan :) Will post some pics once I have it set up and thanks once again

Sounds great :) my back up plan for my Betta is *drum roll* a new tank :) Hahahaha parents ain't gonna like this one!

Bettas can do damage:) I've seen it... Last works best:) good luck :)

I introduced my betta at the same time as my other fish, just gave everyone PLENTY of hiding spots. (A cave, a pirate ship, and some broadleaf fake plants). Never had an issue. I've occasionally added new fish and all she does is go up and "nudge" their side (not fins) for the first 24-48 hours or so when they get in her territory. Never any damage or any chasing, and all my guys are getting along great. Good luck! Remember to include hiding spots!

Well my new lid arrived today :) and as I say the filter is in my community (hopefully) maturing nicely so just waiting for the heater and the light to turn up then I'm off out to find some substrate and decorations. So hopefully in the next week or so I should be able to put the tetras/rasboras in (depending on what my lfs has and as long as the water is right obviously) and get the first photos up :D

So another update: my heater and light have arrived so I took myself off to the shops and got me some substrate and a few plants. I used Fluval Stratum for the substrate, it's a nice dark brown sort of looks earthy then I robbed one of the bits of bogwood out of my main tank that has a bit of Java fern growing on it. Got me a big ole moss ball and ripped a few bits off and strapped them onto the wood then rolled the rest back up and added some Hemianthus callitrichoides and Rotala wallichii. Will post a pic once the water has cleared a bit, it's still a bit murcky in there at the moment :D

Thanks, rearranged it about 20 times and probably will some more lol.
The plant is Hemianthus callitrichoides "Cuba", the plan is for that to spread and make a carpet

Ickletas said:
Thanks, rearranged it about 20 times and probably will some more lol.
The plant is Hemianthus callitrichoides "Cuba", the plan is for that to spread and make a carpet

That's what I thought. It looked like a carpet plant. I think it fills in faster if you separate it into some different sections.

Back
Top Bottom