Dempsey and Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hutch

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone have a Dempsey Oscar tank... I have a small dempsey now and I was thinking id have an interesting tank if I got a similar size oscar..

I need a fish thats agressive enough to not let the dempsey bully it... any other suggestions?

What size tank is this? Oscars can easily reach 10" and most oscar keepers will not recommend anything less than 50 gallons for a single oscar.

a friend of mine used to have an oscar and a dempsey (both similar in size) together in his tank. they both had their own territories staked out, and never really hassled eachother. although i can't say if this was an exception, maybe someone else can add more info?

Thanks for the post

Im thinking Oscar is too big I just read some posts and they can get huge... my dempsey will get big to but it will take 4 years to reach full size and thats plenty of time to upgrade

Right now I have some where around 28 gal tank with a small dempsey a very hardy pictus and this other thing the pet store told me yesterday would stand up to my dempsey - they were wrong and im gonna sell it back to them

any other south american cichlids that would be a good match... I don't really like green terrors btw

Don't get a Red Terror. I've heard nothing but horror stories. About a week ago I met someone with a Red Terror and asked them about the fish. They said they can't keep it with anything, it kills everything, even larger fish. It killed 3 Dempseys and 2 Oscar that were all bigger than it before they finally gave up and put it in its own tank. They had a particularly large tank as well so that was not the problem. I don't know what to tell you to get but I would definitely avoid a Red Terror.

At one time I had a Dempsey in with an Oscar and all it did was chase and nip the Oscar so I had to remove it.

I wouldnt suggesst a tank any smaller then 75 for 1 Oscar.
A 28 is not big enough at all.
Check out Menagerie's link it's a good one.

Back
Top Bottom