Dirty water + stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatFish11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I have a 75 gallon tank with 6 boesmani rainbows, 6 sterbai cories, 2 blue rams and 1 bristlenose pleco.

I went away for a week and had a friend to look after the tank, just feeding and controlling the lights. I did a water change and I added 2 blue rams and the pleco the day I went away. Everything was good. Water was clear. I have a hog filter + 2 sponge filters.

I was a little anxious adding the fish in and leaving that night and trusting somebody else for a week to look after it.

I came home and my water is green. Dirty and can smell it as soon as I walked in through the door. I did a water change right away and another but still no results. I just changed the foam part to the aquaclear filter and rinsed the other parts with aquarium water.

How do I go back to crystal clear water?

And once the water is good im thinking of adding 4 more boesmani rainbow fish and looking for recommendations for a center piece.

All the fish I look at that I like can’t go in my tank example frostosa is too big or too aggressive. [emoji17]

Sounds like someone overfed your fish. Keep cleaning regularly and it will get back to normal. One comment about "centerpiece fish." I don't like the concept of keeping one fish of one species by itself. Most all species are far better off being with others of their species. I'd suggest another group of rainbows instead, like turquoise.

Sounds like someone overfed your fish. Keep cleaning regularly and it will get back to normal. One comment about "centerpiece fish." I don't like the concept of keeping one fish of one species by itself. Most all species are far better off being with others of their species. I'd suggest another group of rainbows instead, like turquoise.

Yea that’s what I think too.

Could I do 10 boesmani and 10 turquoise or would that overstock the tank

Or I was thinking 2 angel fish

I'd stick with rainbows. Angels tend to be sedentary and rainbows are always moving. Six bosemani and six turquoise ought to be ok.

I'd stick with rainbows. Angels tend to be sedentary and rainbows are always moving. Six bosemani and six turquoise ought to be ok.

My rainbows now don’t have any colour.... they look mostly yellow so going to add 4 more with actual colour. And 6 turquoise rainbows. :)

Thank you for the suggestion! :)

Also I’m wondering if I could potentially put tetras in there?

Back
Top Bottom