DISGUSTING! Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your pleco is nibbling on something in the tank or has something in his diet that is keeping the poo broke up and not stringy, count your blessings. That's just how plecos poo.... long strings

My pleco was pooping in long strings until he grew up and started eating veggies more often than algae wafers.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive seen my pleco poo once and never again. Shes an eating machine thought.
I mean if you think about it in a planted tank their poo is prob great since its pretty much all plant matter based.

I've a pleco in my 75G and have never even noticed any poop from it! I dropped it into a 5G for a day when I needed to temporarily move it, it left several large piles on the gravel, but never any long strings.

Plecos ordinarily poo strands. Are they being fed enough? My 13 inch pleco will eat 1/3 of a zucchini with about a dozen medium sized cichlid pellets pushed into it, on big feeding nights, which is a 2-3 times a week. Most plecos need more protein as they get bigger. Is there driftwood in your tanks?

Zucchini isn't expensive if that's what your referring to. We don't buy much processed food in our household of 3 and food prices are higher where I am than the rest of the country, but getting some extra zucchini isn't noticed in the grocery bill. We spend anywhere from 1200-2000$ a month on groceries.

I mainly meant the cichlid pellets. Don't go go thru a lot when you're using a dozen at a time just for the pleco? Fish foods are pretty expensive. Our grocery bill is about $1,000 a month. There are only two in our household. We live in Calif., so yeah, groceries are expensive here too. I also freeze the zucchini, then blanch it before feeding.

No the pellets aren't expensive. The bag I have now I have had for 6 months and it was not quite 20$. I fed a variety of foods to my Oscar so it actually helps use up food before I just end up throwing it out and getting newer stuff.

Great looking fish but I'm also done with them. Funny how some people buy them to keep the tank clean...

You've had a bag of food for 6 months and it cost $20? Are you feeding a quality pellet, like NLS or Omega One? If you feed a variety, then I guess you could still have NLS for 6 months, but still, those foods are not cheap, but they are quality. I'd be afraid to feed anything like for instance... Tetra.

I feed omega one, NLS and hikari cichlid bio gold. Those are the best brands to buy that I've found. I do buy different varieties and products of each product as needed and quite often I just throw old stuff out and get new. In the summer my Oscar gets grasshoppers(fav) worms, crickets etc... from the yard. Another good product is Flukers canned stuff. They have grasshoppers, crickets, and other things as well in the can, but my oscars favourite is river shrimp. They are good winter items to keep around. For veggies in the diet I use common veggies and some fruit.

Back
Top Bottom