DIY Coconut Hut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm, I generally stay away from coconut decorative ideas. (I'm in south florida, there's only so many coconuts one can take) But I kinda like this idea. Might have to walk around the block once or twice to find one now.

Fishyfanatic said:
Wow, you've made them before Toirtis? Do you have any pics?

No pics, but mine look identical, except for more squarish doorways. One thing to note, though....drill a couple of holes into the top of each to allow air to escape when sinking them, and if you frind too much hairy fibre in the outsides, a wire brush will take it off pretty quickly.

Great tips! I may try to find a coconut this evening when I go to the grocery store. So the coconut does not have any adverse effects on the water parameters?

I found that a dremel with the cut off wheel attachemt works great to score the shell. Then a good tap on the ground or with a hammer results in a nice even break and two halves. I leave the coconut out on the countertop for a few days to let the meat dry out some and then take a kitchen spoon. At this point the meat has often began to pull away from the shell along the cut edges. Insert the spoon and it prys out in larger chunks. I haven't made it to the tank with them because my kids wanted them for bowls.

So definately make sure ALL coconut meat is removed? That's what I was wondering if the coconut meat would cause water problems if you couldn't get it all out. I've never worked with an actual coconut before so it'll be a whole new experience. I bet the Africans would love it!

Yes, any leftover meat will decompose in the tank, just like leftover fish food would. As far as the shell decomposing, I suppose it does in time, but several that I have been using for 3-4 years show no real signs of any decomp yet.

Im thinking that they would make good repitle hides!!! especially for my snakes...

Back
Top Bottom