Do all snail reproduce wildy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been reading about how snails can reproduce like crazy and cause unsightly tank problems.

Are all snails like this, or is this just a certain type? Seems like I've seen huge populations of the unicorn shaped ones at LFS tank.

You have to figure, snails are prey to a wide variety of fish and animals so, yeah, they produce like mad to be sure the population flourishes. There are live bearing species that only produce something like twice a year if your looking for something a bit slower. I believe the trapdoor snail is one of those. Snails are cool. :D

Seems like I've seen huge populations of the unicorn shaped ones at LFS tank.
mts do reproduce quickly
I believe the trapdoor snail is one of those.
I hope not, I just bought some so they would reproduce :?
Some snails are hermaphroditic and able to self fertilize. These snails reproduce the quickest. Some snails need both female and males around to produce baby snails. www.applesnail.net is a wonderful snail resource.

Yep Trapdoor snails are livebearers, but they can reproduce very fast. I bought three large ones (1 to 1.5 inchs) about 6 months ago and about two months ago I took everything out of my tank just to count the trapdoors and there were over 40 at the time. But it looks like the color strain is starting to come out in these second and third generation snails. The stipes are more defined now and you can more easily tell the difference between the orange/yellow and brown stripes.

LOL 40 snails is nothing. One apple (Pomacea bridgesii) snail can produce 60-100 babies in one egg clutch. They can also produce one clutch of eggs every 4-7 days for several weeks. So, considering the alternative, trapdoors are alot less prolific. Definitely have to get some trapdoors now. :D

Ya but apple snails lay eggs. Trapdoors are straight livebearers, maybe four at a time. but they reproduce a lot faster than what you first thought:

Fluff said:
There are live bearing species that only produce something like twice a year if your looking for something a bit slower. I believe the trapdoor snail is one of those.

No, I only remember what I had read. Liveaquaria says twice a year *quote* The Japanese Trapdoor Snail bears live young generally twice a year. *end quote*
I never said you'd only get a few snails, just said they were slower and less prolific than say the average mystery snail.
So, if that's false information than, I'm sorry Menagerie.

Back
Top Bottom