Do you think this is overstocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok right now I have 3 neon tetras 3 false julii cories and a ton (50+) of red cherry shrimp in a 10g planted. I'm planning on stocking like this

6x neon tetras
3x false julii
1x dwarf gourami
RCS

aqadvisor gives it around 120%, but I keep up with water changes. I wanted to know what you all think of this plan

I think that anything but pygmy corydoras gets a bit large for a 10 gallon, especially since you need 5 for a comfortable school. That said, your stocking is OK, presuming that you're sticking with the corydoras since that's just what you have.

It'll work providing you keep up with your Nitrate levels (PWCs). I wouldn't add anything more. But I gotta be honest, I cringe when people stock 10 gallon tanks with fish. Fish like to swim, especially Neons.

Have to question the previous post, don't stock anything else? Neons need 6+! Cories need the same. Dwarf gourami would put this way overstocked.

I would advise

6 neons
6 corys
+ your shrimp

Or

5 neons
4 corys (not ideal but trying to fit the DG)
1 dwarf gourami
10-15 shrimp

Even this is seriously pushing it, given neons are advised to 20 gal minimum.

thanks everyone. I did at one point have 6 neons and 4 Corys. I would like to get rid of my neons, but at the moment I have nowhere to put them

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have to question the previous post, don't stock anything else? Neons need 6+! Cories need the same. Dwarf gourami would put this way overstocked.

I would advise

6 neons
6 corys
+ your shrimp

Or

5 neons
1 dwarf gourami
10-15 shrimp

Even this is seriously pushing it, given neons are advised to 20 gal minimum.

Are you trolling? Question all you want. 6 neons is plenty for a ten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks everyone. I did at one point have 6 neons and 4 Corys. I would like to get rid of my neons, but at the moment I have nowhere to put them

Have you considered a bigger tank?

believe me I'd upgrade right now if I could, but I'm just a teen lol. I can possibly convince my dad to get a 20 soon, but that's not highly likely for awhile.

ok right now I have 3 neon tetras 3 false julii cories and a ton (50+) of red cherry shrimp in a 10g planted. I'm planning on stocking like this

6x neon tetras
3x false julii
1x dwarf gourami
RCS

aqadvisor gives it around 120%, but I keep up with water changes. I wanted to know what you all think of this plan
Big no to gourami(Need over a 29g IMO and probably eat your shrimp).
Then pick one or the other
or do dwarf cories (pygmys) if the temps macth up.
10s are tough to stock due to how quickly water can go bad and limited room for fish to swim.
More volume allows more room for human error.

I would love to answer you.

I wasn't looking for an argument, I was just saying neons need a school of six. Op stated he only had 3, it appeared to me you suggested adding no more fish. I was only stating the school needed 6 but I can now see how you intended the post. With six neons, a few cories, a DG, and 50 + shrimp the tank would be overstocked, this was my only real point.

so what if I get rid of the neons (idk what to do with them right now tho) and stock like this

1 betta
5x false julii
shrimp

the only thing that's worrying me is the betta eating the shrimp. opinions on stock and betta?

5 neons
1 dwarf gourami
10-15 shrimp

I second this, but just do 6 neons and corys along with the dwarf gourami. It will be perfectly fine as long as you keep on top of water changes. Don't even bother counting the shrimp as bioload tbh

I second this, but just do 6 neons and corys along with the dwarf gourami. It will be perfectly fine as long as you keep on top of water changes. Don't even bother counting the shrimp as bioload tbh

wait sorry are you saying 6 neons and 6 corys or 6 neons and 4 corys

I keep 6 neon tetras, 6 corys, and a dwarf gourami in a 20 gal and they get along well. But, the gourami will sometimes be a bit aggressive with the others esp during feeding time. I also keep another dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon with 4 or 5 white skirt tetras. They're great fish, but I think your stocking is a little high.

Honestly though, it'll probably work. I remember when I first got into the hobby I would tend to overstock my fish, but I always over-filtered. They'd all live just fine, but I would see more chasing and shredded fins than now with a more moderate stocking.

Back
Top Bottom