Drift wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

El chakas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to start have some bigger plants I like the natural look.

Would adding driftwood have any positive or negative benefits of water parameters?

Also is there a way to get rid of the water becoming tinted with the wood?

Soak the wood in hot water changing the water twice daily for about a week or two. Once the water stops staining very much after 12 hours, then boil the wood for 6-10 hours changing the water often. You shouldn't have much staining after that.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dealt with tannins in my shrimp tank for over two years. Several pieces of DW (Malaysian) were introduced over that time. The DW was boiled for about 30 min a couple of times before going into the tank. Each water change looked like iced tea. Then I put a 100 mL bag of Purigen in the filter and within 12 hours the hazy, tinted water disappeared. The water change later in the week yielded clear water in the white water change bucket. Yes, the Purigen is slightly brownish from absorbing all of those tannins.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most wood will decrease the pH of your water slightly. Great advice above regarding removing tannins as well. If you still have a little brown left, Purigen by Seachem does a good job of clearing it.

Lol fresh2o beat me to it. Should have typed faster.

Lol fresh2o beat me to it. Should have typed faster.

Nah, it's called backing me up.
The product was suggested many times and I finally ordered it. A bit skeptical at first but it really works.

Thanks for the reply! I will try the Purigen.. The drift wood was used in an awuarium for about 1 year but still stains... Should I just go with the Purigen or try both the boil and Purigen?

I'd try boiling it first and letting it soak overnight. If you continue to see tinted water, then perhaps get some Purigen in there.

Definitely boil prior to purigen. I'm a big fan of purigen because you can regenerate it! I get about 15-20 regenerations out of it before I have to replace it.

Purigen is ,frankly, brilliant. Chrystal clear water in 24hrs.
If you're clearing the tannins for the first time then the Purigen can get fully loaded pretty quickly, it turns from off white to dark brown so it's easy to see. After the initial clear out of tannins the Purigen just keeps on top of the problem and it lasts much longer.
I'm not sure if removing the tannins removes the water softening and Ph reducing quality of the water. Perhaps some else can comment on that.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! So I started boiling the DW today and also went to some stores and couldn't find the Purigen so I'll be ordering that online...

My PH is alittle high and hoping that adding the DW would help a bit on lowering it and keeping it stable. I'm not a big fan of adding chemicals to my tank if there's a natural way of doing it.

Back
Top Bottom