driftwood/ decorating questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't really want to get in to a debate over this but I just don't want people to read this and think they must strive for a particular wavelength when selecting tubes or LEDs. For the purpose of this discussion, fluorescent tubes emit enough energy in all of the photosynthetically active spectrum to grow plants in our aquarium be it a 'special tube' sold at the local fish store or a shop light fluorescent from the general hardware store. I have never come across any plants showing blue or red wavelength deficiencies or any data to suggest that this may even be possible. Even if it were, who's going to stare at a red or blue tank? Plants do just fine using 'ordinary' bulbs. I've used them myself. Much better to focus your attention on light intensity, carbon and nutrients than worry about wavelengths.

When Tom Barr and co pencilled the EI method their focus was on light intensity, not the wavelength.
'
Too many people worry about light and so end up pummelling the plants with photons only to end up in a mess because they didn't stop to think about the importance of co2 and nutrients. Keep light low, carbon good and nutrients sufficient and you will find even some of the 'high light' plants will grow just find albeit a little more slowly. Use higher light intensity, keep carbon and nutrients sufficient and the same plant will grow without any problems except it will grow much quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

agreed, i don't want to get into a debate either, but a plant bulb really is not to much more and doesn't look red or blue necessarily.

I have a good idea of how I'm going to do the lights now too. I'm going to get a full length hood for a plant fluorescent bulb because I don't have the upfront capital for the leds if I chose to put in the co2 system. I am truly a beginner at plants and had never even considered them until I joined this group. I hate to put it this way but explain the co2 system and how it works / what i would need to setup as if you were talking to a middle schooler with a science fair project haha.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm on the same path to C02 and everyone's been so helpful here on the forum. From what I understand you'll need the following.

-c02 tank
-Regulator with solenoid
-Replacement rings
-Bubble counter
-C02 tubing
-Check valve
-Diffuser
-Drop Checker
-Timer

Or you could DIY. Check out youtube, so much good stuff, DIY C02- WAY LESS EXPENSIVE.

What am I forgetting? Anyone? Thanks for anything additional. Oh yeah, btw check out the Planted Tank Forum.

Back
Top Bottom