Dust/Dirt harming canister filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadowstars123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently rinsing out Oil-Dri for my planted aquarium, but it's still running cloudy, and I've read that it'll stay cloudy unless filtered out. Can this cloudy/dusty water harm the intake to my Fluval 405?

I'm currently rinsing out Oil-Dri for my planted aquarium, but it's still running cloudy, and I've read that it'll stay cloudy unless filtered out. Can this cloudy/dusty water harm the intake to my Fluval 405?

Could put a prefilter sponge over the intake to the filter.
Would still consider rinsing media in dechlorinated water and possibly cleaning the impelller asembly after the tank had cleared.
Is the oil dry for planted tank? Have you considered capping the oil dry with a layer of fine gravel?

roadmaster said:
Could put a prefilter sponge over the intake to the filter.
Would still consider rinsing media in dechlorinated water and possibly cleaning the impelller asembly after the tank had cleared.
Is the oil dry for planted tank? Have you considered capping the oil dry with a layer of fine gravel?

Yeah oil dry for planted tank. Layer of peat, then oildry, then some fine-medium sized gravel on top. My filter is a canister, so i'm juat worried for the impeller.

some impellers are ceramic, some are plastic, either way, something soft like clay shouldn't be an issue. If it is a real concern just take the impeller out and look at it and make sure it doesn't get bound up by gunk. The sponge prefilter idea works great also, I have prefilters on nearly all of my canister intakes.

jetajockey said:
some impellers are ceramic, some are plastic, either way, something soft like clay shouldn't be an issue. If it is a real concern just take the impeller out and look at it and make sure it doesn't get bound up by gunk. The sponge prefilter idea works great also, I have prefilters on nearly all of my canister intakes.

Thanks, i'm surprised that you're not a mod. You're extremely helpful.. How long since you've joined?

maybe a month? I don't know, just started posting here. I do know a few people here already, and frequent several other forums. And no, I stay away from being a mod anywhere, too much work for me! :p

jetajockey said:
maybe a month? I don't know, just started posting here. I do know a few people here already, and frequent several other forums. And no, I stay away from being a mod anywhere, too much work for me! :p

But it'd be grea if you were. Without the oildri idea, i'd be out a good 50 or so dollars for flourite instead of the <20$ on everyting i got. Btw , is 50 pounds of oildri too much for a 55 gal? Cause i'm topping it off with an inch of gravel...

jetajockey said:
If you are capping it with something else you probably won't use all of it. You just need to gauge it while you are adding it.

Hmm. I might just use one bag. But that'd mean around an inch of it. Do you think it would suffice? Or should i use both bags and habe roughly a 4 inch substrate?

well yeah, aesthetics are one thing, but also because that extra substrate is displacing water, so you have less water in the tank. Also, deep substrates are prone to getting anaerobic areas, which can make for that funky swamp smelling gas release.

Back
Top Bottom