Canister Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BradDP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, Finally got my aquarium up and running with fish added on June 16.
I have an Aqueon Quietflow 400 canister filter for my 75 gallon tank.
So far so good... quiet and flow seems okay. I use the 2 "polisher hob" included for the return flow which use filter cartridges. Have changed a few times.

So.. the question is:

Generally, how often should I clean the canister filter? Rinse out the media with aquarium water, etc. Every 6 weeks or so??? Do not want to do it more than I have to!

Thanks,
Brad

My schedule.

Every 4 to 6 weeks.
Replace polishing pads.
Rinse sponges and media with tank water
Clean impeller and shaft.
General wipedown.

Every 12 to 18 months.
Replace O ring, impeller, impeller shaft and impeller cover.

The proper answer to your question is, "As infrequently as possible."

Why? Because no matter how delicately you clean you're removing biological filtration ability. This is particularly important when the filter media is new as it [seems] to take much longer to establish a bacterial colony on biological media like bio balls and ceramic cylinders than mechanical media like pads and hybrids like foam. You must maintain the permanent bacterial colony when cleaning.

In that vein the question really becomes, "How do I clean the filter?"

My suggestions are:

1) Get a 10-gallon galvanized wash tub.

2) Get a 1-gallon or so bucket.

3) Fill the wash tub about 2/3 full with tank water.

4) Remove the canister filter.

5) Unload the canister putting any permanent media like bio balls, ceramic cylinders and foam into the wash tub. Put any "filters" into the bucket.

6) Reload with new or cleaned "filters" doing nothing more to the permanent media than swishing a bit in the water in the wash tub.

Back to your original question of, "How often?" I suggest you wait at least 2-3 months for your new tank before the first cleaning.

Thank you... something told me best to leave alone until really necessary.
I am using the 2 HOB "Water Polishers" that was include with the Aqueon Quietflow canister filter instead of the typical return flow. The polishers use filter cartridges which in theory should cut down on the filter cleaning times.
I changed the cartridges a few times and the water is so clear the fish look suspended. In my 75 gallon I have 10 cardinals,5 tetras, 12 tiger barbs, 6 platys, 2 pearl gourmais,4 corys and 10 nertite snails plus giving all live plants a shot and everything doing great. ph 7.0 and NO ammonia,nitrites or nitrates

Why? Because no matter how delicately you clean you're removing biological filtration ability. This is particularly important when the filter media is new as it [seems] to take much longer to establish a bacterial colony on biological media like bio balls and ceramic cylinders than mechanical media like pads and hybrids like foam. You must maintain the permanent bacterial colony when cleaning.

In that vein the question really becomes, "How do I clean the filter?"

My suggestions are:

1) Get a 10-gallon galvanized wash tub.

2) Get a 1-gallon or so bucket.

3) Fill the wash tub about 2/3 full with tank water.

4) Remove the canister filter.

5) Unload the canister putting any permanent media like bio balls, ceramic cylinders and foam into the wash tub. Put any "filters" into the bucket.

6) Reload with new or cleaned "filters" doing nothing more to the permanent media than swishing a bit in the water in the wash tub.

Back to your original question of, "How often?" I suggest you wait at least 2-3 months for your new tank before the first cleaning.[/QUOTE]

Best thing to do is buy a pre-filter and place that on the intake tube.

You don’t want flow to slow down within the canister as the microbial colonies rely on a finite amount of oxygen based on the flow coming in. When that slows because things are getting clogged it’s generally bad news so a great tip would be to monitor your out flow for signs of slowing.

A pre filter will allow you to collect gunk at the site of entry to the canister in theory preventing suspended solids entering the canister extending the cleaning interval. You can literally just remove the pre-filter. Clean and on put it back over the intake.

Cleaned today after waiting 10 weeks...It was getting clogged as flow was slowing.
Followed your instructions and worked perfectly!
I think I will clean every 2 month.
Thanks, Brad

I got an Aqueon hang on back filter.
I have foam pre filter on the intake tube.

I am amazed at the waste it collects.. like a lot of fish waste etc that would otherwise more quickly clog up the main filter

foam pre filter

Hi Joe,

Have never used a foam pre filter. I have an Aqueon quietflow 400 canister filter. What brand foam pre filter did you buy for your filter?

Thanks, Brad

I got a Smaller Aqueon hang on the back filter that uses the median (M) filter
I saw some on e-Bay from China that has S, M , L sizes
I got the small size

Of course on yours, you would put it on the So-called "polishing unit" intake tube
BTW I wish someone would explain to me just how you "polish" water:)

You just have to take an educated guess on what size might fit
Just keep in mind that a tight fit is much better than a loose ft that will not stay on the tube.

Just do a search for "aquarium pre filters"
They are all very inexpensive. I got a lot 5 for about $3

IMO they are all the same and brand names are meaningless.
The are most likely all made in China

BTW, since you should turn off the filter during a water change, I also remove the pre filer and rise it in the tank water taken out.
One filter can last a long time.

EDIT...
I just found this on e-Bay. This e-Bay offering should make easy for you to get the correct size you need
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303893305005?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26a

Back
Top Bottom