Dwarf Emerald Rasboras wont surface to eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drew1987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all

REALLY struggling with the school of dwarf emerald rasboras in my nano tank. there are Danios as well and they (the danios) eat just fine but the rasboras simply will NOT surface to eat, anything that sinks, the danios beat them to it. They tend to hide in one corner and its been that way for a week =/ all i can think is to rehome the danios (i dont want to) and let the rasboras rule the tank until I can think of something super chill to put in there

help =(

Thanks

You have my sympathy--been there, done that! I bought a little school of danios many years ago, and they immediately demolished the gentle, peaceful mood of my community tank. The other fish were looking astonished and, I was sure, cursing me for making them live with the equivalent of six-year-olds buzzed on sugar cereal. I found the danios a nice, new home and have not succumbed to danio charm since.

I guess some people like exciting fish tanks, but I prefer aquariums that calm me down.

Crap :( well the pet store I got them from will sure let take them back but that sucks. The leopards especially - very pretty fish. No way to get the emeralds to eat? And yikes I better figure this out soon :-/

Well, you could provide more plants and cover for the other fish to try and make them feel safer, but that still wouldn't slow down the danios, I'm afraid. Maybe this is a good excuse to buy that second tank you've always wanted? You could have a slow tank and a fast tank.

I actually just noticed a similar posting on another board:

https://reddit.com/r/AquaSwap/comments/k2w3oe/ga_northern_virginia_4_zebra_danios/

I fear this happens a lot. I know when I started this hobby I looked at which fish were peaceful when planning a community, but it never occurred to me to consider general speed/level of activity... I'm sorry. I know it's never pleasant to have to rehome anyone.

well... rehome could actually mean still mine... we have:

75 gal discus
55 gal native (the eat EVERYTHING so not there)
20 long guppy snails shrimp (possibly here)
20 high still deciding leaning toward large schools of nano fish or cichlids
10 community w snails and shrimp planted gorgeous
2.5 kid's room
2.5 kid's room (again. these gave tetras maybe danios in one of them)
5.5 office (with the rasboras)

10 feeder mino tank
10 spare tank

The discus tank also has a silver dollar, a loach, and a roseline shark. There are 11 rummy-nose tetras in there; i wonder if the danios would be good in that tank? its 82degF

Thanks for the help and chat. The 5.5 gallon is a very special tank - its in our office for our business and those 5.5 gallons go a LONG way to provide some peace at stressful times haha

PS

Scratch the discus idea... they take thier sweet time with eating... dont need the danios starting them and exploding in the process

Heh heh. You just reminded me again of why I love this community so much. Everybody has even more tanks than I do!

From what you describe, it does sound like the guppy tank might be the best for a try. Danios are so active that I have trouble imagining them being happy in anything smaller than a 20 or at the very least a 10. Good luck....I hope it all works out.

Yes it’s never enough lol

Might do a rack of 20 Longs in the basement because why not? Lol

They seem very happy in the 5.5 just they are way to fast to eat :-/ the 20long guppy may just be the hone for them. Or the striped in there and the two leopards in the heavily planted 10

I’ll try a bunch more javaferns before I give up / something to make the emeralds happier and hopefully more willing to venture off to the top

Back
Top Bottom