Electricity is OFF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We are experiencing a big storm system and have lost power...... I'm wondering what I should be worried about tank wise, and is there anything I need to do until it comes back on? I have a 55g community freshwater, a 55g green spotted puffer tank, 2 5g 1 is glofish Other is QT tank. I also have a 10 gallon snail tank....... Today is also the first time I was trying to hatch out some brine shrimp. That's probably a total lose now with no air running.

Any advice is appreciated!

Most important thing is you need to keep the beneficial bacteria on your filter cartridges alive! Try putting them in buckets filled with tank water and keeping water movement inside the buckets

How often do I need to have water movement in the buckets?

As much as you can. Another thing is that your tanks are no longer getting oxygen so every few hours scoop some water out with a pitcher or cup and pour it back into the tank. Also daily water changes of 10-20% can make up for the lack of a filter. Also heat! Wrap the tanks up in blankets or fill them up with hot water occasionally, the heater being off for a few hours will be harmless but if youre anticipating it to be out for days, wrap em up! Feed very small portions to keep ammonia down. If you have live plants try to get sunlight on them so they will further oxygenate your water. That's about all I can think of good luck I hope everything works out fine!

Back
Top Bottom