Elvis the Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just like Mr Presley himself my new betta is gorgeous :) I'd take a pic but he's busy being shy in the 30 gallon community tank at the moment.

He shares the tank with 4 small platies, 2 dwarf platies, 3 neon tetras, 3 panda cories and 1 blue mystery snail. I bought him his own betta food which HOPEFULL he'll come out to get soon !!! While I was at it I bought some micro-pellets because the neons and dwarf platies just couldn't fit the regular size floating pellets inside their mouths !

It was HYSTERICAL watching the platies and neons looking at Elvis as if to say "what the HECK is THAT ???". I also enjoyed Elvis swimming around and could almost hearing him saying "HUH ??? how come I'm not banging up against the walls when I try to swim ????? this is NEAT !"

congrats on the new purchase. I just bought my first CT betta, I have wanted one for a few months now. I am very happy with him, though he does have an attitude problem.

I love bettas, I currently have four males (all housed seperatly in their own 2.5g tanks) and 6 females (all housed together in a 20g) and attempting to breed.

LOL yeah, I was looking at some crowntails today too ! They're so pretty - but I've heard they are more aggressive so didn't want to put one in the community tank. But I know I'll be back at the store within a week buying a 5 gal and a CT soon.

Good luck with the breeding !

Nice I hope everything works out for the betta. You should definently get more Neons as 3 really isnt enough and you should have at least 6.

I had 6neons - three died. To tell you the truth, they actually school more in the group of 3 - go figure !

Update on Elvis the Betta -
After his initial happy reaction to having so much room to swim in Elvis hid for 2 days, mostly on the suction cups to the heater or deep inside one of the silk plants.
Yesterday he came out and swam around at feeding time, he followed some food towards the back of the tank, just under the return from the whisper filter. While he was there I dropped a betta pellet into the corner, out of the current - YIPPIE he found it and ate it. I was worried I was going to have to acclimate him to the food but it ate it right up. Then he ate two more.

Today he's merrily swimming all over the place and really seems to enjoy hanging out within the silk leaf plant that I draped over the crossbar to make a hanging hideout. When I went up to the tank he came out - he knows when feeding time is already !. After putting in some micropellets for the platies and panda cories I dropped a pellet right in front of Elvis and he swam after it and ate it up. Then he got a second and a third.

The community tank is really working out with him. He chases the platies when they get too close (just a short lunge - no flaring) and the panda cories scooting around the tank don't seem to bother him.

I really ADORE the panda cories. They're a hoot - especially when they play 'follow the leader' with each other. They're all over the tank, not just sticking to the bottom. Sometimes I'd even think they're actually smiling - they sure do seem to be having fun exploring all the caves in the tank.

and the tank parameters are perfect - no spikes of anything and the water is crystal clear. Today will be the first PWC.

Back
Top Bottom