EMERGENCY!!! mold on ceramic rings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

filterman40

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is this even possible. I think I have mold on my ceramic rings in my DIY filter. Here is a pic please help

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110908_225205.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110908_225205.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 134
  • ForumRunner_20110908_225301.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110908_225301.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 142
that's algae! diatoms i believe.
whatever the case, just wash the rings with water taken from the tank.

Is it bad/ will it kill my inhabitants and my water is crystal clear so is the filter working and btw imitation a fresh water tank so could I build a sump instead? Thanks for the speedy response

it's harmless!
It's a type of algae that grows in places with little exposure to light

Diatoms are a dark brown ... could have a black appearance .. depending on what it's growing on. They are very common in new tanks and or tanks with water that has a high silica content (uses silica to form it's shell ... gives it that brown algae color) usually tap from groundwater. It comes right off with a rinse and is harmless.

Keep us updated!

i'm thinking its beneficial bacteria. Ceramic rings are there to grow bacteria, thats why they're so porous. Perhaps thats all it is?

It looks like diatoms to me. Do you have a microscope at home? Hahahaha!

How many gallons per hour is your filter set up for? How large is the area that the rings are kept in? My thinking is that the flow might be low, which could allow it to grow?

Not sure I'm on the right track, but the Fluval canisters use the same ceramic rings and I don't ever remember seeing this problem with them.

Diatoms are totally harmless. My tank was covered with them right after it cycled and they all died off in about a week. You will be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom