Endler Livebearers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moe36

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have these guys? Are they a good community fish? (ie with: dwarf gouramis, cardinals, cories, etc) How big do they get? Are they common? etc.....

...any comments on keeping these guys would be appreciated :)

Beautiful and wonderful fish. Had some a while back, in a species-only tank.

They are some of the smallest fish available in the biz. Only 1 inch max (though I'm sure some have been selectively bred to grow larger). They are only just coming into popularity in the fish-keeping business, so they're still hard to get, but they are amazing fish! Also, as a consequence of their present rarity, they're a little more expensive than some other guppies. I've seen them for, and bought them at, about $3-4 each.

They are sensitive to ammonia etc, so make sure you've got them in good quality, well-cycled water. Also, make sure your light is positioned correctly to display their fantastic coloration. It is absolutely unique.

Here's some more info:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=1584

Get at least 6 of them, and if you can find females with the males, you should have babies soon.

Good luck.

Yes, I agree. They are lovely and if you can get a large enough school, it is quite a nice sight. I would love some if anyone carried them around here!

Hehe. They're hard enough to get in NYC! The store that had them near me sold out in a few hours. I got the last 8!

Saw some of these at a friend's house the other day... absolutely beautiful and unique fish. They were in w/ regular guppies so I'm not sure if they would be okay w/ other species. My fancy guppies are fine w/ our danios and tetra and gourami though... so unless the other fish is really big or has a large enough mouth to eat the Endlers you might be able to mix species. I am no expert though...

Sheila

I would be careful, just due to their very tiny size. I would imagine that any fish you can keep guppies with you can do the same with Endler's. If they can be found, it would be worth it to set up a species tank and breed them (they will go about it just like guppies) and you could likely sell them to the LFS pretty easily.

I would tend to agree. Perhaps stick with a species-only tank until you've got a fair number of the Endler's, then mix them in with other fish...

Mind you, I forsee no problem putting them with tetras, gouramis, cories...

Back
Top Bottom